Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard IO shield

Last response: in Motherboards
March 26, 2012 3:20:21 AM

I have what might be a stupid question but here it goes. You know how motherboards come with an IO shield and they usually have those little tabs. Well do you just bend those tabs back or do you cut them. I'm doing a build and I tried cutting the tabs but I mangled the IO shield pretty bad.

More about : motherboard shield

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 26, 2012 4:06:28 AM

They're supposed to be there to provide pressure that keeps the backplate from coming loose when you plug something in. And also supposedly to reduce electromagnetic interference, which I really could care less about.

Bottom line, bend them out of the way if you can, but if you have to cut a couple, you're not going to hurt anything. I don't like to do that unless one is REALLY in the way, if for no other reason than they leave nice jagged edges to cut your fingers on when you're plugging in a USB device 6 months later and you've forgotten about it.
March 26, 2012 1:41:38 PM

You can lose the shield, no reason to use it if you can't bend it back, I had a system without the shield and I dind't feel enything :)  I mean you don't have to use it.

Bottom line, you should bend them on the inside.
Score
Related resources
March 26, 2012 3:12:13 PM

Best answer selected by Anonymous_26.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
March 26, 2012 3:33:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!