Corsair Vengeance, or Corsair Vengeance LP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrypumpkin118

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
For the last 7 or 8 months, I've been doing a lot of research for my first build, and I've been gradually buying the components as prices and availability change. Every time I research RAM, I gravitate towards Corsair's Vengeance line. They meet my needs and budget, and I have determined that it is compatible with all my other components. I've had my eye on their CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 kit for quite a while (I don't really have a color preference), but I recently learned about their Low-Profile line of Vengeance memory. It seems to have the same specs as their regular Vengeance line, except for the absence of heat spreaders.

I want to dabble in overclocking the RAM in the future, and I was wondering: does the absence of heat spreaders on Corsair's LP memory make any difference in performance and heat production when compared to the regular Vengeance memory? I remember reading somewhere that the heat spreaders on the Vengeance memory didn't really make a difference, and might actually impede the memory's ability to stay cool. The LP memory seems to be priced a few bucks more than the regular Vengeance memory, but, depending on what advantages it offers over the regular Vengeance memory, I might be inclined to go with the LP memory instead.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The LPs do in fact have heat spreaders. They are just shorter than the standard Vengeance spreaders, hence the name low profile. The difference in the spreaders is 99.999% cosmetic. The only way you would ever see any difference in performance between a Vengeance kit and its corresponding LP version would be if your PC case became EXTREMELY hot and far more hot than any normal PC would ever get. Or, you might see some difference in EXTREME OCing and overvolting where extra cooling would be beneficial.

In general, all Vengeance modules run at such a low voltage, the size of the spreader won't matter.

henrypumpkin118

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012

Thanks Yellowbeard. Your reply, as well as some advice from a classmate at my college, has made me feel more comfortable with spending a little extra on the 1866 MHz model of Corsair Vengeance. I don't anticipate there being a heat issue anytime soon, as I have a Corsair H100 in push-pull for the CPU and a Corsair memory fan for when I start to overclock.

Sarthak_Haldar

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
If you have a liquid cooled system then you don't need to spend extra bucks for a low profile ram. Those lp versions are made for high end air coolers like noctua nh d15, which doesn't fit with high profile rams.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

No real need to respond to a three year old thread - think they already decided

Status
Not open for further replies.