Your question

Gigabyte GA-Z68x

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • RAM
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 26, 2012 7:24:53 AM

Gigabyte GA-z68 X-UD3H-B3 with two 4GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ ram in Channel B (slots 3 & 4) was running fine.

Bought two more sticks of the same memory and installed it in Channel A (slots 1 and 2) and computer wouldn't boot, wouldn't goto post, wouldn't do anything except turn on, run for a few seconds and turn off ... (exact same action as if all the ram slots were empty, actually.)

All four Ram sticks are good and will run the box perfectly if any one or any two of them is installed in Channel B, slots 2&3. If I try to run the computer with one or two sticks in Channel (slots one and twoi) the box responds as if there is no Ram at all.

OK, the board is new, which doesn't mean it isn't junk ... but I'm hoping maybe there's some weird setting in BIOS I'm missing.

Another odd factor, when it does recognize the RAM on Channel B it auto sets the speed to 1333 not 1600.

Anybody have an idea what's going on here? Thanks.

More about : gigabyte z68x

a b V Motherboard
March 26, 2012 8:28:55 AM

Have you installed any BIOS updates? You should have BIOS ver.F11 installed.
(latest).
I also have a Gigabyte mobo and when I first got it the specs wire 1066/1333/(OC)1600, so when I installed my 1600 Corsir XMS they defaulted to 1333 and only using a profile would run at 1600. After the BIOS updates were available the specs changed to 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066, I installed latest BIOS and another 4GB Corsair XMS. They now default to 1600 automatically.
m
l
March 27, 2012 12:00:34 AM

The latest BIOS they're offering me is F10, which may be a U.S. market thing .... do you have all four RAM slots populated with Corsair ram, I am a lot more pissed about not being able to run anything in Channel A than the speed rating being wrong.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2012 2:03:23 AM

memory model number?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2012 6:16:33 AM

Yes all slots are populated with Corsair XMS ram. I got the first 2 chips about 2 years ago when I built the pc and the second 2 a couple of months ago. All 4 chips are Corsair XMS but the second pair have a different part number. I was kind of worried they weren't going to work together, but I had no trouble at all.
You should definitely install the F10 BIOS, it should help. I believe that if you do get them to work together their speeds should also work at max. You may need to check the XMP see that it is enabled for better ram speed.
m
l
March 27, 2012 6:17:02 AM

BerylLee said:
memory model number?

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Thanks.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2012 6:33:53 AM

I have the same motherboard and when I installed some corsair RAM, my system kept hanging. Swapped in some Kingston ram and all is well. It was probably incompatible.
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:07:58 AM

Thanks .... ironic info bit ... I had two sticks of the Corsair and deliberately didn't order the additional two sticks with the MB so I could make sure the Corsair was compatible. (Gigabyte says it's supposed to be, but ...)

Big joke, I installed the two sticks, tested them, ran the box with them for two weeks flawlesly, went ahead and ordered two more sticks and the don't work ... guess the laughs on me
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2012 8:07:11 AM

All four ram chips look identical externaly but the label stuck on the first two chips had a different part number (not model number, my mistake) than the second two. After all they were purchased two years later but they have been working fine since.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2012 2:03:46 AM

you can check bios f11 .. some experience to me that same model of memories but different revisions even make some incompatibility.
m
l