Sign in with
Your question

Monitor upgrade question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2011 4:31:15 PM

Hey y'all -- I'm in the midst of a new system build and am looking for a cheap widescreen LCD to replace my Viewsonic VX922. Need something that will game well with a Radeon 6850 GPU.

This 21.5" from ACER refurb was looking pretty nice at $119... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

But noticed that my old Viewsonic has a 2ms response time -- and this ACER is 5ms. In fact, most monitors I'm pulling up in the sub-$200 range are 5ms.

So, is that too slow for gaming? Do I need to find something closer to 2ms? Or will the ACER refurb work just fine?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!
February 10, 2011 4:59:30 PM

5ms is fine -- I recently bought an ACER 23" and it is working fine -- personally a 21.5" monitor at 1920x1080 is a bit small (I mean TEXT is hard to read at that resolution at 21.5") so I like the 23" a bit better and really I'd spend the extra $20 and get the Gateway 23" refurb for $139 !

I bought the ACER 23" a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $139 to replace a 21.5" ACER that had 1680x1050 res that was about 4 years old and died (probably would have cost more than the $139 to repair the old one !) - Got it instead of the Gateway since it was not a refurb and had a 3 year warranty instead of the shorter one offered with the refurbs at the same price.

THey do have the same one I bought at newegg for $145 including free shipping -- the only thing I do not really like is the stand but I'm mounting it on the wall with this $15 tilt and swivel mount they have on sale right now and removing the stand anyway.
m
l
February 10, 2011 6:18:48 PM

Cool - And thanks for the advice. Y'all talked me up to a 23"... Hope to order one today...
m
l
!