Overclocking athlon ii x2 250

myersjohnar

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Hello,i want to over clock my athlon ii x2 250 can i achive this by only increasing the fsb i would like to bring it to 3.4 ghz on stock heat sink can this be done are what else i have to do in order to achieve this overclock please help me i really need to know plzzz

need4speeds

Distinguished
My friend has the exact same cpu. I overclocked it for him with the stock cooler.
-It should do 3.4ghz on stock voltages by just increasing the fsb. (but why not go for even more speed right?)
-He has a cheap-o asusrock board that is not the best for overclocking, on a decent board it could do over 4ghz.
His clocked to 3.6ghz@1.425volts 46C under full load (prime95). It does boot windows at 3.8ghz but the usb port stops working (chipset crashes not the cpu).

1. Drop the ht bus to the next lower speed since the ht bus follows the fsb.
2. drop the memory to the next lower one (ddr2-800 to 667 and so on)
3. Increase the chipset voltage to the next step up above stock.
4. increase the memory voltage to the next step above stock.
5. increase the cpu voltage to 1.45volts (or 1.425volts if the board maxes out there)
6. increase the fsb from 200 to 210, then 215, 220,225, 235 (increase by 5mhz) till windows blue screens or freezes but it still boots into the bios.
7. Turn the computer off when it blue screens or freezes for about 10mins, then boot into the bios and set the fsb down by 10mhz it ensure it is stable.

8. boot windows and restart, check the temps in the bios, make sure the cpu is under 50C, the regor usually runs cool. The regor likes to run cooler than the propus or phenomII cores. In the hardware monitor settings set the cpu max temp for the fan to 45C and the lower one to something like 20C.
It should run under 50C under load once you have the fan set up.

9. make sure "cool n quiet" is enabled.

10. check the chipset temps too, they should be under 70C (they run hot since the gpu is built into the chipset).

11. If it is using the onboard gpu, find a old fan to put over the chipset cooler,
Keeping the chipset cooler can help increase the cpu overclock (most are limited by the chipset crashing) The onboard gpu can be overclocked as well, some by almost double.

Search on you-tube for others with the same onboard gpu, many have figured out voltages/settings to make them run many newer games.

-Set the hdd to shut down so spin down after 20mins in the bios so the hdd does not run 24/7 for nothing. (it can be set in windows power management as well).

need4speeds

Distinguished
Most boards since socket 939 and 775 have a feature where if it wont boot due to a bad overclocking setting, after 3 to 6 trys to boot if you keep restarting it, it will bail and start with a message that it is running at stock clocks/voltages for the cpu and let you go into the bios and start over. You just have to be a bit patient that's all.

-Reset the bios on the board with the clear jumper or button as a last resort since it wipes out all of your settings including the date/time even. Then you have to re do all the settings.