Win 7 upgrade USB Controller error 37

buffalo_guy

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I recently upgraded my MB going from an AMD system to Intel.(Asrock z68 Extreme Gen Gen3) This is a Windows 7 64 bit install. As I have done before several times, I was able to upgrade without reinstalling Windows. My old drive drive booted up into Windows and I installed the new drivers. Everything worked EXCEPT the USB controller refused to initialize (error code 37). I tried everything including deleting the drivers and reinstalling. Since my C drive had a free partition I did a clean install of Windows 7 and everything is working. My issue - I need to boot back into the old windows install and run some programs there and I really need a mouse to run these programs. (no backup software on these of course) My new board does not have a ps2 mouse connection. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot and get the USB driver operational? Would a PCI USB card be a possible solution? Thanks for any assistance.

Steve

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Transferring 'can' be done, though not my top choice, as long as you install ALL of the MOBO's drivers. It's best not to use your DVD/CD that came with your ASRock (one of a boat load Z68's), and instead go to ASRock's site - http://www.asrock.com

Did you install:
Chipset (INF)
LAN
SATA
// etc
AND USB Drivers e.g. ASMedia

Q - In the Device Manager are there any (? or !} listed?

After ALL of the drivers are (re-installed) then re-install the USB device drivers as you normally would (if corrupt uninstall and unplug device) re-install (unplugged, driver, connect).

buffalo_guy

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Did you install:
Chipset (INF)
LAN
SATA
// etc
AND USB Drivers e.g. ASMedia

Q - In the Device Manager are there any (? or !} listed?

Thanks. for the quick reply. Yes, I installed all of the from the CD including AsMedia. The Asmedia controller and the USB controller are listed in device manager with the same error., #37, Windows could not initialize this hardware. I will try your suggestion. Once I get this cleaned up I will revert to using the new Windows partition. I will post back Amy chance a PIC based USB port would work?

Steve