Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Difference between PCI express 2.0 x16 and PCI express 2.0 x4

Last response: in Components
July 17, 2011 10:53:42 PM

Hello,

I bought a new pc with a motherboard that has 2 PCI express slots. The specs say that one is x16 and the other is x4. the x16 is occupied by my video card. I ordered a USB 3.0 PCI express expansion card. I will be installing it on the PCI express x4 slot. Does this mean any difference in my performance of expansions on this slot compared to the 16x ?

Best solution

July 17, 2011 11:08:40 PM

As you might expect - the x16 slot is four times faster.

On the other hand - a PCI express 2.0 4x supports either 1 Gbyte/s or 2 Gbytes/s in each direction (peak). (It is supposed to be 2 - but most Intel-based systems up 'till now are 1)

Each active, full speed USB 3.0 port is no more than 0.5 GBytes/s. So - unless you plan to use more than 2 ports at full speed at the same time - no problem.
July 17, 2011 11:10:14 PM

Also - there is not much you can connect to a USB 3.0 port that will use .5GB/s Mostly it will be hard drives that are well under .2 GB/s.
Score
Related resources
July 17, 2011 11:16:43 PM

darclark78 said:
Hello,

I bought a new pc with a motherboard that has 2 PCI express slots. The specs say that one is x16 and the other is x4. the x16 is occupied by my video card. I ordered a USB 3.0 PCI express expansion card. I will be installing it on the PCI express x4 slot. Does this mean any difference in my performance of expansions on this slot compared to the 16x ?

not sure mate from what i gathered if you have 1 spare say you have a SLI crossfire motherboard the x 16 slot can be used for X4 devices that was the case with the black magic intensity pro card that would go in both the x 16 slot and x 4 i think your USB 3.0 card is limited to X4 speeds im not sure if you would get any benifits having it in the x 16 slot can someone quote me this is making me brainstorm :pt1cable: 
Score
a c 174 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2011 3:54:19 AM

leave the vid card in the faster x16 slot. Us any other slot for the usb card. x4 means its 4x as fast as a standard pci express slots bandwidth. 16x is 16 times as fast. it is the speed (number of lanes) of the slot.
Score
July 25, 2011 10:07:39 PM

Thanks people.

aft6er all that I found the USB 3.0 drive would not complete a backup with windows 7 back up or kaspesky pure back up. Also, it failed on both the usb 3.0 port and the onboard usb 2.0 ports, and it failed on my brand new laptop.

My old USB 2.0 drive works just fine on both systems. I had a ssp error at first, so turned on ssp and volume shadow. That error was gone.

Now i get some I/O error. I downloaded a new ISO of win7 pro. formatted the drive, re-installed all my drivers formatted the drive. same issue with both systems. attempted chkdsk /R E: did not have 2 days to wait. too much hassel sent the *** drive back and the card (if they cant provide both that work I dont want anything from them.

Waiting for a new drive and adapter, and will try again.
Score
July 28, 2011 1:36:11 AM

Best answer selected by darclark78.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2011 4:09:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!