What to expect...

spenceone

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Ok so im looking at ordering a new motherboard, all i really want to know is what to expect. Do i have to reinstall windows? and if so do i have to dump my harddrive? are there any other small issues that i should be worried about? Any comments are appreciated.

spenceone

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
yea i figured a clean install would be best but iv got alot on my HD that i dont wanna lose. So when i do get my new mobo am i going to have to dump my HDD? and if i could afford the SSD believe me i would deffinetly get one! but again thanks for the reply.

spenceone

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
lol no iv recently built a new gaming PC and i went super cheap and got a micro mobo, its about 6 months old now and im getting a new mobo that will do ivy bridge if i so choose, so im trying to get something thats a bit futureproof, and i was just curious on what exactly to expect when swaping motherboards...thats all. lol thanks again tho!

spenceone

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
ohhh i see, i didnt know that. thanks for the info! i really just dont want to run into some unexpected errors when trying to swap motherboards. and dumping my HDD is no big deal, but if i have to dump it i will swap all the info onto my external...

You should always save a backup image of the HDD before swapping the motherboard.

You can never be too prepared for what you may encounter during the motherboard swap.

spenceone

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Very true! Thanks again for the info! so i guess just doing a full clean install would be the best. Are there any other kind of issues i might run into while swaping out motherboards? and @nikorr iv already answerd your questions..,. :]

I would try booting up in safe mode initially, if you can, and install the latest chipset drivers for the new motherboard. If you're successful at doing that then you don't even have to reinstall any applications.