Should I update my bios?

Ephemeral7

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
For some reason, my computer reboots during certain games (The sims 3 and saints row the third so far,) and yet with other games like Skyrim it can run perfectly fine on ultra high detail, with all setting's maxed out. A friend pointed out to me that it may be related to the videos that run during startup (causing my pc to reboot as soon as the game is run.) To test out this theory I removed the video files from the games, and sure enough they work perfectly when they are removed.

I first tried re-installing my graphics drivers, I then tested out saints row the third and found that it was playing a couple of seconds longer than it had been before, but now before it rebooted it made this weird sound (hard to describe really, but was kind of scary.) It was definitely coming from the pc and not the speakers though.

Anyway, to get to the point, someone pointed out in another forum that certain x58 motherboards have trouble with games, and they suggested updating the bios, I've never done this before though and I'm worried about the possibility of it going wrong and making my pc completely unusable. So I don't want to update it unless I absolutely have to, does it sound like updating the bios might fix the problem?

My motherboard is: Asus P6X58D-E

Hopefully this is in the right section, thanks :)

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
X58 motherboard came in to the market like 2-3 years ago, so I think you definitely have to update the BIOS to solve some bugs and glitches that you are experiencing right now. Go to Asustek.co look for the motherboard's model number, maybe under support, download and update the latest version of the BIOS of your motherboard. You can do it in Windows environment.

G

UNLESS there are no existing problems . .if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

TRENDING THREADS