Router Sending packets

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I'm usuing a d-link router, and a Belkin wirelss card..
I have 3 wired, and one wireless...

I'm usuing Windows ME with the wirless card, and the router send packets but the card doesnt revice them.. I can acutlly connect with my neighbors router, just not mine. If I connect to mine, it says I have a excellent connection. But I cant do anything on the net.. Any ideas?

Old System:packard Bell Legend 3550,200 mhz cpu,72mb ram,8mb video,2gb hdd.
NEW System:ECS N2U400-A,512 mb ram,AMD Athlon 2500+, 64 mb video, SOUND, on board lan, USB Ports, 120 Gb HDD

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Are you getting an IP from it? open up a console and type in ipconfig /all
Do you have any sort of security measures enabled on it? wep, mac filtering, etc.

Wait... Win ME might be winipconfig to get ip info. Can't remember, its been to long since I used it and I try to avoid it :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Folken on 01/15/05 07:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Classic encryption issue. sending but not receiving. Either you have the wrong WEP key or you don't have one at all on the client, which is what it sounds like. If your not running WEP then you definitely need to be. Set (Re-set) it up on the AP and then the client device. Should take care of your problem. Hard to say exactly what is wrong without looking at your setup but what your describing is a typical problem with WEP issues.

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I am getting an Ip, but not one that the router normally sends.

I do have a WEP Encrytpion, and it has the number and such..
However, I dont know how to change anything.

NEW System:ECS N2U400-A,512 mb ram,AMD Athlon 2500+, 64 mb video, SOUND, on board lan, USB Ports, 120 Gb HDD

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
If your getting 169.254.x.x then no your not getting an IP from your Router. That is a windows thing when no DHCP is available. I can't tell you how to setup your WEP. That is what your manual is for as each Mfg is slightly different in the administration of it. That is however the most likely candidate for your problem. Re-set up WEP, or just disable for the time being and start over. You say you don't know how to change it but that you do have WEP setup. Well that doesn't make much sense now does it? Who set it up then? Someone else? If so then perhaps that person should get involved. If you set it up then you know how to change things. Again, RTFM seems to apply here.

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Okay, I figured it out..
On the computer right now. Turns out it was the WEP, had to disable then re-inable..

Thank you all for the help.