One of two 8800GT cards stopped working

linus5171

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I have a 3 year old Dell XPS 630 with two 8800GT video cards in sli configuration. I recently noticed games started to lag and stutter. i updated drivers to latest version but still a problem. I just went to device manager and noticed second video card had a yellow flag and said " Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" Is there any test i can do to find out the problem or do i need to replace the card? I googled to find another 8800GT but Newegg and Tiger Direct and the like are out of stock apparently none has made these cards in a while. If i replace the card, can I use another model for the bad card or do i have to buy two new cards.? I always thought you had to have exact same model for sli to work. Any suggestions?

sounds like a faulty card. try each card on its own to make sure. you dont have to buy 2 new cards, you can just buy 1. if your happy with your current performance, a gtx460 would perform similarly to 2 8800gt's + it supports dx 11. you are right that you need the same model for sli. you may be able to get a used 8800gt from ebay. if i were you id get a new faster single card if you have the funds

linus5171

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not sure how to isolate each card. Only one card had video output on the back. I tried unplugging power cable into cards one at a time with power off and rebooting but neither worked by itself, just blank screen and a high pitched whine