Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do I fix my laptop?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 27, 2012 12:07:09 AM

Hey all

I bricked my laptop about a month ago through a bad flash of a custom BIOS.

All it did when powered on was have blank screen with 2 red LEDs on keyboard (f11 and f12).

So I ordered a replacement BIOS chip and attempted to solder it into the motherboard myself to save money.
When I was removing the old chip, 2 of the tiny copper contact pads came off the motherboard with the old chip. (pic below) So when I attempted to solder the new one in, two of the legs would not solder in properly.

I decided I would try it and see if it worked anyway, so I powered on the laptop after putting it back together. All it did was have a black screen. The Caps lock light was blinking every 2 seconds or so and there was one red LED on the f12 key (different error lights to before).

There was no solder crossing over 2 legs or anything, it was pretty clean. So I don't think I shorted anything out (if that is possible).

These different error lights are getting me worried that I may have done something horribly wrong.

Basically the question: Would replacing my motherboard fix my laptop?

More about : fix laptop

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2012 1:01:33 AM

Was the BIOS replacement chip pre programed with the correct BIOS? If it wasn't then it wouldn't of worked. Replacing the motherboard would fix this problem but I suggest that you get some one else to do it for you.
March 27, 2012 1:21:25 AM

I believe it was pre programmed correctly, I ordered a new chip and told them the BIOS that needed to be there.

Is it really necessary to get someone else to replace the motherboard though? The HP service centre charges $105 per hour for repairs plus costs.

I have managed to completely remove the motherboard from my laptop and put it back together about 3 times. And as far as I'm aware the only things that need swapped from the old board is the fan/cooling unit, RAM, CPU and Wifi chip. All of which are easily removed from my motherboard. And possibly some more thermal paste will be needed?
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2012 4:26:00 AM

Your old motherboard may be fixable if you find someone that is very good at soldering. I could probably fix it but you will have to find someone local to you.
Score
April 3, 2012 2:00:10 AM

Ended up replacing the motherboard. Problem solved.
Score
April 10, 2012 8:00:58 AM

Best answer selected by piwifrut.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2012 9:25:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!