How do I fix my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piwifrut

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hey all

I bricked my laptop about a month ago through a bad flash of a custom BIOS.

All it did when powered on was have blank screen with 2 red LEDs on keyboard (f11 and f12).

So I ordered a replacement BIOS chip and attempted to solder it into the motherboard myself to save money.
When I was removing the old chip, 2 of the tiny copper contact pads came off the motherboard with the old chip. (pic below) So when I attempted to solder the new one in, two of the legs would not solder in properly.

I decided I would try it and see if it worked anyway, so I powered on the laptop after putting it back together. All it did was have a black screen. The Caps lock light was blinking every 2 seconds or so and there was one red LED on the f12 key (different error lights to before).

There was no solder crossing over 2 legs or anything, it was pretty clean. So I don't think I shorted anything out (if that is possible).

These different error lights are getting me worried that I may have done something horribly wrong.

Basically the question: Would replacing my motherboard fix my laptop?

scaled.php

Solution
Was the BIOS replacement chip pre programed with the correct BIOS? If it wasn't then it wouldn't of worked. Replacing the motherboard would fix this problem but I suggest that you get some one else to do it for you.

piwifrut

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I believe it was pre programmed correctly, I ordered a new chip and told them the BIOS that needed to be there.

Is it really necessary to get someone else to replace the motherboard though? The HP service centre charges $105 per hour for repairs plus costs.

I have managed to completely remove the motherboard from my laptop and put it back together about 3 times. And as far as I'm aware the only things that need swapped from the old board is the fan/cooling unit, RAM, CPU and Wifi chip. All of which are easily removed from my motherboard. And possibly some more thermal paste will be needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.