How-To: Cascade your router (Use two access points)

al man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hi Axxeon!

I'm new on networking and I wonder, is there any way that you can also have a slave router (or access point) plugged to the master one, without having to hard-plug it? I mean, is there any chance of making this procedure "wirelessly"?

Regards,

Al.

riser

Illustrious
The directions Axxeon has really need refined.

Basically a home 'router' hands out DHCP - gives IP addresses out. By default, routers have the IP address of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 - so when you connect two on your network, they use the same IP address and cause conflicts.

You would want to take your second router/wireless router and connect directly to your computer with the patch cable. Log into the router, assign it an IP address 1 higher than current (192.168.1.2 or .0.2). You will want to configure DNS to be pointing towards your other router (192.168.1.1). Disable DHCP on the router.

Your router will now act as a switch. If wireless, configure the wireless how you want it set up. By disabling DHCP, your 'router' will pretty much become a switch unless you plug into the WAN/Internet port on it.

azjoe1961

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I been awful busy sorry I didnt get back to anyone and thank them. So I will do it now. Thanks it was easier than I thought and all is well. Haven't noticed any great gains in speed but I wasn't really seeking that just better reception.
Having the two access points makes things easier now I can keep both main PCs on a wired hookup all while watching the new born yea thats what has been kicking my old ass. Thought I was shooting blanks being 50 and her being 42 I thought all was well.
Ha Ha oh well sometimes the unplanned turn out better than the "well planned" if you know what I mean. Yea shes adorable a blessing in our later years I actually think I'm better tuned to raise a child than I was when I had my first two at age 34 oh well gotta go once again thanks for the info.

axxeon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

yes what your looking for is a wireless bridge. som e routers may not have this feature.

The first thing i need to know is the brands and models of the master router, and the 2nd router
then i can help you.

thx

axxeon

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

thx for helping me out there, was trying to make it as clear as possible.

oh and i would probs call it a wireless switch cause yeh

riser

Illustrious
Yeah, its a pain writing up tech stuff for everyone to understand. I figured you'd get hit with people saying "my IP address is 192.168.1.1, what do I do now?"

A few years back we would sit around and really hammer out a detailed explanation and make it a sticky. Still, people wouldn't read them and would post their question anyhow. :)

mubarak83

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

Hi Riser,

Just a quick one, if I do plug the ethernet cable from 1st Router into the WAN port of the 2nd Router will the setup work?

Thanks
Adam

mubarak83

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hi Axxeon,

Thanks for the reply, currently I'm using the setup you described on the top of this page.

Need to brush off some cobwebs before I can wrap my head around the instructions from eibgrad.

Will post if the setup works.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.
Adam.

al man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

Was out of town, away from my life T.T
Thanx for your reply! I'll check on it!