Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Replacing an OEM motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
March 27, 2012 12:42:02 AM

Ok I had a quick question. I've replaced video cards and Ram sticks from OEM computers but this is the first time I'm replacing an OEM computer. If I replaced the stock OEM motherboard with an aftermarket board from ASUS do I have to reinstall the OEM Windows 7 or will it automatically work with the new motherboard? I guess what I'm asking is will the OEM HDD with the OEM OS be compatible with the none OEM propriatry motherboard
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2012 1:51:27 AM

Most likely not. You would have to do a clean install of Windows 7 using an OEM version of Windows 7 from a CD. Then you should be able to use the original CD key(should be on a sticker applied to the case somewhere) to activate Windows. However, there is no gaurantee that it would work. Did you get a Windows 7 installation CD with the computer or is your only method of reinstalling windows from a separate partition on the HDD that contains the original configuration disk image(usually setup as your D: drive).
March 27, 2012 2:05:35 AM

I do have the recovery CD set from the manufacture. I guess what I was looking at is three possibilities

1) Install the new motherboard and turn it on. The new mobo, HDD and OEM W7 all detect eachother and are compleatly fine with out any problems.

2) Install the new motherboard and there is a problem. I install the recovery CD's do a reformat of the drive and re-install the OEM W7 and everything works fine.

3) Have to get a new HDD and do a new Windows 7 install with a Windows 7 CD.
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2012 4:24:18 AM

The recovery Disk that came with the old Motherboard only works with that motherboard, whenyou change the mother you have to buy a new copy of Win 7 for the new motherboard, because the recovery Disk(win 7) that came with the old motherboard is tied to that old motherboard. The recovery Disk(win 7) that came with the old Board has all the drivers for the hardwares of that old PC. So even if you reformat the HDD and put it in the new Board and install that recovery disk(win 7) that came with the old board, during installtion it will not push through and it will promt you "wrong" machine. Why because the drivers that incorporated to that recovery disk(win 7) that came with the old Board is not in any way compatible with the hardwares intalled on the new motherboard.
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2012 12:36:50 AM

+1 What aqe040466 said is absolutely correct.

If you have a recovery set from the manufacturer then you cannot use any of the three options that you listed. How many disks does the recovery set include and how are they labeled?

The OEM Version of Windows 7 that Microsoft distributes for use by system builders and retailers is actually almost the same as the standard retail version with a few small but very significant differences. The primary difference is that an OEM version can only be activated by using an OEM license key. Standard Retail keys cannot be used to activate windows installations that come from an OEM CD. Also, Microsoft limits the number of activations that can be done using any single OEM license key regardless of the hardware that it is installed onto (I think the limit is 10 but not absolutely sure). This means that you can use an OEM version of Windows 7 after doing a motherboard upgrade and activate it successfully, however, each activation is tracked in microsoft's database and the OEM key that you are using will be disqualified if you use it too many times.

You need an actual WIN 7 install CD. I would suggest you try to install windows from your CD to find out if it is a true recovery set or if it is an installable OEM version. If it is installable you may be able to install on your upgraded machine and activate it without a problem. Just be sure to make a habit of doing periodic backups with a system image to make sure you don't use up activations unnecessarily by installing and activating windows on the same hardware.
March 28, 2012 4:48:12 AM

Best answer selected by Anonymous_26.
a c 328 V Motherboard
March 28, 2012 6:47:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!