Gigabyte 6950 and Eyefinity

bswann

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I have the newer Gigabyte 6950 video card that is just a dream to use with two monitors. I have read all the info about using the active adapters for the display port for adding the 3rd monitor. I got a 3rd BenQ 2400wd monitor and the accell active DP to DVI adapter. The system doesn't even see the 3rd monitor. I have tested the dvi cable, monitor and all seems to work until the adapter is added. So I thought I might have a bad adapter. I called accell for support and they tell me that it can't be the adapter that it must be the monitor. That I need to use dvi enabled monitor. Now I am lost here, isnt a monitor that has a DVI port DVI enabled? The CST rep went on to say that this adapter is intended for use with older monitors to all continued or extended use of old hardware.

I sorta feel ripped off here... Is Eyefinity this picky?

So finally to my question...

A monitor with HDMI, DVI and USB has to be DVI enabled right? Is there a monitor with a DVI connector that isn't DVI enabled?

You are correct. It sounds like you're getting the run-around from Accell.

Did you try the new monitor just using one of the DVI cables connected to a DVI port on your video card?

If that works, you can safely conclude your monitor is "DVI-enable" and it's not a monitor issue.

bswann

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
a yes... I did that to all the monitors with the same cable. a bit of over kill but it did prove that they are all dvi enabled and all the dvi cables actually work. As for Accell they are apparently a very small company and it was like I was helped by whoever answered the phone. We had a bit of a language barrier with her speaking English with a Asian accent. I had the same issue with ATI. Seems to me that this is supposed to be damn near idiot proof and this should never happen.

At this point I am at a total loss for what to do to get this working... ZERO support from the monitor people (benQ) little support from either Accell and Gigabyte... I suppose the last option is to buy a DP monitor (rather expensive) and end up with 4...

bswann

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
got it at Newegg so I am gonna go thru the RMA process and see if they take it... I had a funny thought actually... I was gonna go to Best Buy with the adapter and put it on an Apple pc and see if it works... Now I gotta talk a Geek Squad member into letting me do it... LOL

Hey... If you can do it, great. Good luck. Seems like they should be able to try that for you.

bswann

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Ok I got it working... World of Warcraft is amazing on 3 screens... ok the Accell adapter turned out to work fine. But the crummy converter I bought for DP to mini DP out of the box from mono price was the problem. I thine the design of the rigid case for the product from mono price is the issue. I ordered a great adapter from Dinosaur cables dot come. The fact that it has connectors and a cable makes all the difference I think.

http://www.dinosaurcabels.com/main.sc

3411020-056-R%20DP%20to%20DP.jpg

also when setting up the Eyefinity monitors this is a great guide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i12QY62GuXM&feature=relmfu

Glad to hear it all worked out!