Status
Not open for further replies.

trex042

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
hi guys,
i hav recently bought a nvidia geforce gt 430 card two days ago and my smps exploded today with a greenish blue light. the smps was of 450w.
also i was running amd dual core pros.
4gb ram,
250gb hd,
1dvdw.

i just wanna know why?? is the smps overloaded??
(i hav noticed another thing, before the explosion the wall switch of my CPU was flashing. when i turn it on the back of the switch was flashed)

Solution

I would say yes.

The cheap generic power supplies are usually very intolerant of overstress and will self destruct just like yours did.
It could have been a cheap power supply.

It could be an obsolete design capable producing its rated power, but with inadequate 12 volt capacity.

It could have been just a random failure.

My vote, though, is for one of the top two.

The GeForce GT 430 is a low powered card. The reference clocked version will draw at most 4.25 Amps from the +12 Volt rail if you were to run FurMark. Typical gaming load will draw 3.5 Amps from the +12 Volt rail.

NVIDIA's power supply requirements for the GeForce GT 430 are a minimum of 300 Watts or greater with a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 22 Amps or greater. I would even say that 18 Amps would have been enough.

Since you have never posted any relevant/useful information about your 450 Watt power supply unit I will have to assume that it is some low-end inadequate generic piece that didn't even come close to meeting NVIDIA's minimum requirements.

trex042

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

My +12 Volt continuous current rating is 15 Amps.
is this the reason??
pls reply.......

I would say yes.

The cheap generic power supplies are usually very intolerant of overstress and will self destruct just like yours did.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.