Sign in with
Your question

Memory Frequency & Processor FSB

Last response: in Motherboards
March 27, 2012 4:42:30 AM

Hi, im new here and i am a little confused about a few concepts of memory and processor configurations.
In my case i have a Laptop Compaq Presario CQ50.
with this processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-60 [AMQL60DAM22GG] (Bus speed 333 MHz)
and this memory config.: 4Gb (2 x 2Gb DDR2 800 MHz (PC2-6400)

Now, in the system especifications of Hp support assistant the memory is rated in 667 MHz.

With CPU-Z the memory is rated in frequency of 400 Mhz, i think is normal because the hardware module are a PC-6400.

My question is, the processor determinated the frequency of the memory?
in that case if i have upgrade the processor for the next: AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-88[TMZM88DAM23GG] (Bus speed 400 MHz)
the memory must rate at 800MHz and match with the new processor FSB?
or the frequency are determined for the motherboard bios or hardware especification?
and for last, what is better, if the memory frequency match with the FSB of the processor or if the memory frequency excede the processor FSB?.

March 27, 2012 5:36:42 AM

HP Support Assistant shows that your RAM is currently running at 667Mhz. This is correct because the memory controller on your Athlon 64 X2 QL-60 can only operate up to 333Mhz. 333Mhz * 2 = 667Mhz for DDR RAM.

CPU-Z is showing you that your RAM is rated up to 400Mhz (400Mhz * 2 = 800Mhz DDR RAM). As CPU-Z labels the value, it is the RAM's maximum bandwidth, not actual current bandwidth.

The Turion X2 Ultra ZM-88 has a 400Mhz memory controller so it will operate your RAM at 800Mhz.

CPU frequency used to influence RAM speed, but not anymore. I'm not entirely sure about Athlon 64 X2 QL-60 or the Turion X2 Ultra ZM-88 but I don't think that their RAM frequencies depend on their CPU frequencies. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, you want both your CPU and RAM to run at their highest rated speeds regardless of which one excedes the other.
m
l
March 29, 2012 6:04:52 AM

@arson94

Thanks for your answer.
Then if i adquire the processor [Turion X2 Ultra ZM-88 ZM-88] and install in the system, the motherboard can recognized it and work properly with the memorys!
But exist the posibility the bios can not recognized the processor?.
or the motherboar have locked the performance on 667 MHz because of the hardware especification?
m
l
March 29, 2012 1:42:01 PM

Both scenarios are possible and I would have to research myself to find an answer for you. Laptops can be very proprietary while others are not. Also, I don't know how difficult or challenging it will be to upgrade a CPU in a laptop. I've never upgraded such components in a laptop myself before. However, you could try to search and see if your BIOS supports the Turion CPU or if there's a BIOS update for it that will support it. I'm sorry I can't answer your latest questions yet.
m
l
!