Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 3d build (~$3500)

Last response: in Systems
April 17, 2011 9:13:11 AM

Hi,
I'm going to build new pc for games but I really don't know much about hw to do it alone, so I'm seeking an advice.

Approximate Purchase Date: soon

Budget Range: up to $3500 but no reason to buy the best components where price doubles and performance *= 1.15

System Usage from Most to Least Important: typical: gaming, development, movies, web...

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'm from Slovakia and will probably use alza.sk but you can use anything for showing components and prices

Country of Origin: Slovakia

Parts Preferences: I'm no expert. I had a good experience with MSI for my old gtx 260 so maybe that and Gigabyte for motherboard (also my old and I'm satisfied). But as I said, I'm no expert so I will listen to your opinions.

Overclocking: Don't know. Never did something like that so probably no.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes two way SLI + third (my old) for psychX

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 for now, maybe later I will buy new 3d monitor with 1920x1080 but I also plan on buying projector some day for 3d (which would be fake full hd probably)

Additional Comments: quiet computer is always nice. I also want SSD and most probably raid 1 for hdd.

I decided to go with 2x gtx 570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
plus my old one for physX so I need 3 slots on motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For case I guess I will need big tower but I'm really not sure which one is good and also I don't know what motherboard I should choose. They either look too expensive or it seems their gpu slots are too close so I may not be able to put all three cards there and if I will it would be nice if they had some air for cooling. I don't really understand practical difference between PCIE 16x and 8x.

For SSD I really don't know. I want OS to be there (I do, right?) and some space for games I will be playing currently, but I don't want to overpay it.

For RAM I want 6GB (had that now, works good with turned off virtualization). I don't think I will need more. Question is what clock rate? I saw all kinds and the price difference wasn't so big so I could use an advice here too. Will it make noticeable difference?

For PSU I guess some corsair or something 1.25 kW

For CPU I guess Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core but I'm open to discussion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Of course some cooling for it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (they still have it in my shop but I'm open to discussion)

HDD: 1TB raid1

More about : nvidia build 3500

April 17, 2011 1:57:43 PM

YOu should go with the new Intel socket, s1155 (not 1156 or s1366)

You should look at i5-2500K or i7-2600K. (K) series is for overclocking and you will end up overclocking at some point, trust me, it's as easy as changing the multiplier.

The difference is the 2600K has hyperthreading which makes it act as an 8 core cpu in some applications. It's up to your budget if you want to spend the extra $100.

A coolermaster hyper 212+ will be a good cooler for your cpu.

The motherboard you want is P67. You want 1.5v DDR3-1333 or 1600. 2x2GB or 2x4GB, not 3x2GB.

You don't need 16x/16x you can do just fine with 8x/8x. Someone else will help you with mobo selection, I'm not really into SLI, never have been.

1000w psu would be more than enough, with plenty of headroom, you don't need 1200w.

For hdd, go Samsung F3/F4 or WD Black.

FYI, even just one GTX570 would be a major waste at 1680x1050. I think even at 1920x1080 you should just stick with one card, two would be a waste.
April 17, 2011 9:56:26 PM

Thanks for answer.

Didn't realize there are new intels cpu. I think I will go with that i7-2600K though it might be a bit overkill.. will think about it..

For cooler, funny that it looks smaller but everyone recommends it from what I googled just now..

Motherboard. There are lot of different versions of that one. One from gigabyte with 4 PCIe slots have all of them too close (at least from picture) And asus one with 3 slots have enough space, but only works 8x/8x/4x when all 3 cards are connected.
Why do all these motherboards have two channel instead of three channel for ram?
What does make this P67 motherboard so special? In description at my local shop they wrote something along the lines "Great for gamers who will need big graphic power". How does motherboard affect gpu performance expect speed of the bus (16x/8x/4x)?

For PSU, sure 1000W should suffice but I want to be prepared if I will ever want to swap psychX card for another new one for 3-way sli or update from these cards to something else. I will recalculate once build is complete.

I know that GTX570 is waste for anything less than full hd, but I will probably upgrade monitor too in close future. Why 2 cards? Because nvidia 3d benefits from it quite a lot. Especially in 3d you can see the difference between playing at 30 and 45 fps.. I want to be able to play games like metro 2033 at max details in 3d.
Related resources
April 19, 2011 8:47:31 PM

So I'm finalizing my build. Any thoughs?

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE P67A-UD5-B3
Here I'm not sure if I should take this one or the one from asus. I had gigabyte and they were good. Also it has PCIe speed 16x/8x/4x instead of 8x/8x/4x like asus.
ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION Rev.3.0

CPU: INTEL Core i7-2600K
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212+

GPU: MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II/OC x2 in SLI

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Here I just picked the first one I liked, not sure if they are the best.

SSD: CORSAIR Performance 3 Series 64GB
Again, no idea if this is the good one for me. Just picked one I liked.

PSU: CORSAIR TX950
According to some calculators, with 2x gtx 570 + physX dedicated (gtx260), that CPU and stuff.. I will need around 960W at 90%. Will this be enough? Is it good PSU?

HDD: SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.12 1000GB in Raid 1.
I heard good things about these. Are they good for Raid or should I pick something else?

CASE: FRACTAL Define XL Pearl Black

Thanks!
April 19, 2011 9:11:20 PM

Antriel said:
So I'm finalizing my build. Any thoughs?

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE P67A-UD5-B3
Here I'm not sure if I should take this one or the one from asus. I had gigabyte and they were good. Also it has PCIe speed 16x/8x/4x instead of 8x/8x/4x like asus.
ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION Rev.3.0

CPU: INTEL Core i7-2600K
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212+

GPU: MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II/OC x2 in SLI

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Here I just picked the first one I liked, not sure if they are the best.

SSD: CORSAIR Performance 3 Series 64GB
Again, no idea if this is the good one for me. Just picked one I liked.

PSU: CORSAIR TX950
According to some calculators, with 2x gtx 570 + physX dedicated (gtx260), that CPU and stuff.. I will need around 960W at 90%. Will this be enough? Is it good PSU?

HDD: SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.12 1000GB in Raid 1.
I heard good things about these. Are they good for Raid or should I pick something else?

CASE: FRACTAL Define XL Pearl Black

Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Better quality memory, free memory stick.

The 950W psu at '90%' efficiency does not mean it only gives out 860~ W, it means that it will give 950W (hopefully), and needs around 950 divided by 0.9 at the wall, meaning it needs over 1050 watts to give the pc 950W of power.
i.e. a 50% efficient 1000W psu, is meant to output 1000W, but requires 2000W of input to do so.

Get 2 of these GTX 570's, they each cost $360, but you get $50 rebate from each, making them $310, ($45 cheaper each). Plus they are overclocked to 797MHZ, and its from EVGA (lifetime warranty).

For that setup, get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... higher quality and cheaper, unless you plan on getting a 3rd GTX 570 (which is not required, with only 2 monitors).

Get a larger SSD unless you're like me and don't use tonnes of space.
April 19, 2011 9:19:25 PM

Thanks for quick answer.

For PSU I meant that calculator calculated my PC will need 960W when it will be running at 90% of max power.

I think you forgot link for these gtx 570s :D 
I'm not buying from newegg though. I'm buying at my local shop. I'm from Slovakia.

For PSU. I will have 3 cards. 2x gtx570 + 1x gtx260 physX dedicated so...

SSD should suffice. I will only put there OS with some programs I need to load fast and probably some games that have long loadings and I play them atm. Luxury of not having to move things around is not worth the money I think.
April 19, 2011 11:47:42 PM

Antriel said:
Thanks for quick answer.

For PSU I meant that calculator calculated my PC will need 960W when it will be running at 90% of max power.

I think you forgot link for these gtx 570s :D 
I'm not buying from newegg though. I'm buying at my local shop. I'm from Slovakia.

For PSU. I will have 3 cards. 2x gtx570 + 1x gtx260 physX dedicated so...

SSD should suffice. I will only put there OS with some programs I need to load fast and probably some games that have long loadings and I play them atm. Luxury of not having to move things around is not worth the money I think.

SLI 570's use 550-600W on furmark (worst case) from memory. GTX 260 is what, another 200 more at load? Still leaves 50-100W on a quality 850W psu, and thats if all gpu's are on full, worst case scenario. But your choice, you can pay more if it gives you more peace of mind, just giving my opinion, which is based more around benchmarks. It generally is worthy to note quality PSU's give out more wattage than the label says, and bad quality/no brands give significantly less sometimes.

A 650W corsair worked fine outputting over 1000W for a PC, yet a 1000W PSU from diablotek blew up at 600. (Literally).

Generally quality PSU makers will 'make' say a 950W PSU, then put an 850W label on it so that customers don't break their door and leaves them breathing space. Conversely, bad quality /no brand psu makers will put a 1000W label on a product only outputting 500W or something.
April 20, 2011 12:07:55 AM

From what I read, that ASUS WS Revolution does three PCIe slots at x16/x8/x8 with the help of the NF200 chip. For a Gigabyte board that does that you will need to step up to the UD7 (US$320).
!