Can't get graphics card to fit properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty1873

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
In the middle of my first build and I can't get the screw holes on my graphics card to line up properly with those on the back plate without using some force. Should I be taking everything appart again to try and get it to fit better or will it be ok just applying some pressure to push it into place.

Solution
Every card i have fitted slotted in and the screw holes on the back plate were all perfectly in line. Be sure you have the card fitted in the slot properly or that there isnt something in the slot holding the card off. You should get a nice "Click" when the card is seated properly and then the holes should all line up perfectly. There are some things that require a small amount of force when building a PC but installing the GPU isnt one of them.

Mactronix :)
Every card i have fitted slotted in and the screw holes on the back plate were all perfectly in line. Be sure you have the card fitted in the slot properly or that there isnt something in the slot holding the card off. You should get a nice "Click" when the card is seated properly and then the holes should all line up perfectly. There are some things that require a small amount of force when building a PC but installing the GPU isnt one of them.

Solution

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Take the GPU out and make sure it's seated correctly in the PCIe slot. There should be no trouble with screw alignment if it's seated properly and shouldn't require more than a nudge to get the screw in

monty1873

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

Thanks for the quick reply. One other quick question while I'm here. When attaching my heatsink I wasn't sure how tight to do the screws. They are spring loaded but I wasn't as to whether I am meant to screw them all the way down or just until a feel some resistance.

Screw them down evenly, one corner a few turns then the oposite corner and yes you do need to screw then all teh way down. Dont force them but get them as tight as you can with out having to lean on the motherboard. Again from my own experiance it becomes obvious when they wont go any further.
So evenly tighten down as far as you can untill they wont go further without forcing anything.

Heat sink screws should be installed per the manual's instructions ... in most cases, this is going to be "till it stops" ..... reason being applied here, a simple palm grip and stopping means when pressure to turn increases significantly.

All other screws in a PC should be put in using the "two finger method'. If it's screwed in as tight as it can be using just your thumb and forefinger, it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.