Sign in with
Your question

Considering adding a side fan onto my case

Last response: in Components
July 18, 2011 7:01:14 AM

I have the Lancool PC-K62 case and just recently bought a 2nd MSI Cyclone GTX 460 running it in SLI.

under load, the top card is getting pretty hot. they idle fine at approx 38C each but running unigine for example the top card reaches about 78C while the bottom card hits 64C. Ive run furmark on them and while their performance is great, the temps rose and rose... at one point i have it logged at 87C for top card and 75C for bottom card. I wasnt logging it at the time but I also had the top card reach 92C in furmark before I stopped the stress test

I think the problem is airflow as the ambient temp of the case rises but im not exactly sure how to go about fixing it so im considering adding a side fan to feed air into the cards. my concern with this, though, is the way the msi stock cooler works.

it sucks air in pulling it over the fins and such so obviously the top card is constrained with air feed pulling warm air off the bottom card

now if I add a side fan to my case pictured below, with the way the msi cooler works what would be the best positioning of the fan? directly feeding onto the cards? have it off to the right somewhat feeding air on top of the right side of the heatsinks on the cards? or perhaps have a fan exhausting hot air directly off of the cards? i might could even put 2 fans side by side with one feeding in air to the right and one exhausting on top of the cards or something like that

also, if I mount the fan on the inside of the panel it will be very close to the cards. I know I can test this once I get the mod finished but would the fan work better if I mount it on the inside or the outside to get some more clearance?

More about : adding side fan case

a c 1187 ) Power supply
July 18, 2011 3:07:31 PM

The major problem is your use of double slot-width graphics cards on a microATX motherboard. If you would have used a full size SLI capable ATX motherboard with proper PCI-E x16 slot spacing the topmost card would have at least a single slot-width of space for the fan to exhaust the air that it is pulling in from the sides.

When looking at your pictures the topmost card is unable to shed the air that it is trying to pull in from the sides leading to poor/no air flow through the GPU heatsink's cooling fins.
m
l
July 18, 2011 5:12:20 PM

...I am not using a microATX motherboard. I have the ASUS P6X58D-E which is "a full size SLI capable ATX motherboard" evidenced by its ability to have x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 PCI-E configurations. I am well aware of how close my top card is to the other and that it is having trouble breathing. This is exactly why I am modding some fans onto the side of my case to feed it more air.
m
l
a c 1187 ) Power supply
July 18, 2011 6:49:44 PM

radman9000 said:
...I am not using a microATX motherboard. I have the ASUS P6X58D-E which is "a full size SLI capable ATX motherboard" evidenced by its ability to have x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 PCI-E configurations. I am well aware of how close my top card is to the other and that it is having trouble breathing. This is exactly why I am modding some fans onto the side of my case to feed it more air.

Adding fans to the side won't help the fan on the top graphics card breathe better. That topmost graphics card fan still has to shed the air that it takes in against the back of the bottom graphics card and this is the problem that you need to resolve.

That motherboard just has a poor slot layout. The PCIEX16_1 slot should have been swapped around with the PCIEX1_1 slot.

The following ASUS X58 motherboards offers the correct slot spacing when using two double slot-width graphics cards :

P6T Deluxe
P6T Deluxe V2
P6T Deluxe/OC Palm
P6T WS Professional
P6T6 WS Revolution
P6T7 WS SuperComputer
P6TD Deluxe
P6X58-E WS
Rampage III Black Edition
Rampage III Extreme

Water cooling is also an option/solution.
m
l
!