Sign in with
Your question

Quick question about the graphics card hierarchy charts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 8:01:18 AM

Hi everyone,

When looking at the hierarchy charts, are the tiers equivalent in performance across the brands? So for instance, the top tier Nvidia and ATI cards are the 580 and 5970 (respectively). I know that the 5970 still bests the 580 in performance, which leads me to think that it the tiers simply represent the relative best that each brand has to offer. However i can't be sure as when i look a little bit lower down and see the 560Ti and 470 put next to the 5850 and 6870, i begin to think that maybe it is a little more relative and equivalent.

So does anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks.
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 8:31:46 AM

Yes its done on performance across brands. I see where you are coming from but if you look at it this way. The HD 4850 X2, HD 5870, HD 6950are on a tier or sub tier if you like without a direct Nvidia competitor. The 5850 doesn't really belong there but its better than those below it.
I guess its a case of having to make a decision at some point. That performance area is a bit crowded at present after all.

Quote from the charts,

"Here is a resource to help you judge if a card is a good buy or not. The graphics card hierarchy chart groups graphics cards with similar overall performance levels into tiers. The top tier contains the highest-performing cards available and performance decreases as you go down the tiers from there."

Again i can see where you are coming from but i believe its just a necessity of having to draw a line somewhere.

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 8:38:44 AM

Thanks Mactronix, looks like i'll actually have to use my brain when making a decision after looking at the chart then! There's me hoping i could literally get away with simply looking at it :p .

But thanks! :D 
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 9:39:56 AM

The advice they give about looking at least two rungs higher up the board while a very good one, can also be slightly misleading but again thats not down to them. These days you need to take the factory Overclocked Nvidia cards(GTX 460/ and 560 cards) as single entity's in their own right and try and work out where they would sit in the scheme of things. Quite often with these cards they are a couple of rungs higher than a stock card performance wise.

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 9:51:00 AM

I think they should add SLI and CF setups to that chart as well, I know it would make it very crowded, but I think it would exemplify solid CF/SLI tandems like GTX 460 SLI etc.

Then, you could easyily look at GTX 460 SLI and realize that it's cheaper, and better performance than a 5970 or w.e.

Or look at CF 6950 and see how it's value goes up when you add a second.
February 11, 2011 11:46:56 AM

^+1 to that idea ammisman. It'd be a bunch of work but considering how different brands/generations of cards scale differently I think have CF and SLI setups on the chart would be extremely helpful. Both so you could see how a CF/SLI setup compares to a single card and so you can see how much performance you'd gain by adding a second card.
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 11:57:24 AM

580 > 5970

Really?
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 12:21:39 PM

I think we have a Nvidia fan here, 580 > 5970 also 570>6970 ?
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 12:25:03 PM

It's one thing to be an Nvidia fan (I'm on of them) and another thing to be an Nvidia promoter.
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 12:32:45 PM

These two things are same, a Nvidia fan will promote Nvidia brand only.
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 12:36:45 PM

I'm a fan of both Nvidia and ATI, what does that make me? :/ 
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 1:00:31 PM

No, I'm a fan of Nvidia because they have the current tech I want right now (3d, Physx, usually the best single GPUS) but I don't blindly promote them, or encourage others to only buy Nvidia, or tell people that ATI has crappy drivers, or say that the GTX 580 is better than a 5970...get the difference ? ; )
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 1:05:21 PM

Griffolion said:
Hi everyone,

When looking at the hierarchy charts, are the tiers equivalent in performance across the brands? So for instance, the top tier Nvidia and ATI cards are the 580 and 5970 (respectively). I know that the 5970 still bests the 580 in performance, which leads me to think that it the tiers simply represent the relative best that each brand has to offer. However i can't be sure as when i look a little bit lower down and see the 560Ti and 470 put next to the 5850 and 6870, i begin to think that maybe it is a little more relative and equivalent.

So does anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks.

Hey Griffolion, I know you already had your question answered, but if you look at the CPU Heirarchy chart you will see that they are done the same way, Intel having an entire tier above AMD. If Tom's thought AMD had a whole teir above Nvidia, they would put it there.

Just some more insight on it :D 
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 2:14:37 PM

Hey here no one is asking your graphic card hierarchy alright, so just no need to share your experience here and just collection more information on internet before posting wrong information here.
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 2:28:59 PM

Quote:
Shut it noob. I run a pair of 5870's but i'm an Nvidia fan?

Single card solution always beats a dual card solution. Ever run a 5970? Worst gameplay experience of my life.

/facepalm

I've owned about 5 different setups with multiple cards, and two cards with multiple GPUS.

On the whole, there really aren't any issues left with dual card solutions, except for maybe the price.

Of course I don't doubt that you had issues with your setup... and that probably explains why you weren't able to properly identify the more powerful cards in order. As in, there is a user error between the monitor and your computer chair :lol: 
!