Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Questions before I power on my first build?????

Last response: in Systems
April 17, 2011 2:03:58 PM

So I am building my first PC and seem to have everything connect correctly, I HOPE. Before I ask a few questions, here are the specs and what currently inside my case - I have not even powered it on or installed any OS...

Motherboard: Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7-950
Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (Model HX3X12G1333C9)
Heatsink/Fan: CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler
PSU: Corsair AX750
Video Card: ASUS ENGTS450 DC OC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Case: Antec DF-35 (http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQwNg==)
Monitor: ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR
HDD: 1.5 WD Caviar

Before I power on and just to be safe, I thought I'd ask the PROs:

1. My PSU comes with a PCI-E Connector cable and wondering if I should use that instead of the power cable supplied with this graphic card? The one supplied is a two 4-pin molex y-adapter with PCI-E on the end. I believe their called dongles? Anyways, does it matter which one I use?

2. My case nor my MOBO came with 4-pin speaker wire. I used ASUS' Q-Connector kit and hooked everything up except the speaker 4-pin system warning. I did however, hook up the HD front panel audio connector - does that help this question? Or do I need to purchase a separate pin connector.

3. The heatsink connected flawlessly thanks to Corsair's Youtube tutorial guide! But the one question I have, not even sure it makes a difference, is the pump power connector. Does it matter which Chassis fan number, or anyone will suffice? I didn't even know what NB fan was, so I didn't connect it there :pfff: 

4. Should I use the VGA cable for monitor first to set-up BIOS, etc.? Then HDMI after install video card drivers?

5. This MOBO has 8 SATA connectors, two of which are Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s - Does it make a difference, 3.0 or 6.0 for connecting my HDD and optical drive? For now, I used 3.0 for both - SATA 1 = HDD; SATA 2 = Optical Drive

Well that's it for now, I'm sure I could try and figure out as I go, but before I proceed with pushing the POWER BUTTON, I would like to hear advice and or recommendations from the experts first. Thanks! Sorry to ask such noob questions. I am learning everyday and the next PC build should be easier. Crawl before walk?

More about : questions power build

April 17, 2011 2:09:27 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 17, 2011 2:29:41 PM

Pcie, as long as your plugged up, its all groovy, psu line or adaptor
and it doesnt matter which ch.fan number you use, I'd say put it in one thats out of the way as you dont need to move it once its plugged in.
nb fan socket is for if you have a fan on the northbridge chip
if you have drives that benefit from 6Gb/s then use the faster lines on those obv, otherwise they will only work at 3Gb/s on older drives, no real issue though
gfx card should work fine as is, if not then use your vga method as you first thought
Moto
Related resources
April 17, 2011 2:32:51 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Pcie, as long as your plugged up, its all groovy, psu line or adaptor
and it doesnt matter which ch.fan number you use, I'd say put it in one thats out of the way as you dont need to move it once its plugged in.
nb fan socket is for if you have a fan on the northbridge chip
if you have drives that benefit from 6Gb/s then use the faster lines on those obv, otherwise they will only work at 3Gb/s on older drives, no real issue though
gfx card should work fine as is, if not then use your vga method as you first thought
Moto

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna keep these and any other recommendation printed out and ready for my FIRST power test. :}
m
l
April 30, 2011 1:18:42 AM

Thanks for the help! Double checked everything; read the MOBO manual and was successful with POST. Win 7 64bit loaded as well. First build off to a great start!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2011 9:04:57 AM

Great news man,
Glad to help out and thank you for B.a
Moto
m
l
!