Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • DDR
  • DDR3
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2011 8:24:11 AM

Hi there,

say my mobo is equipped with ddr3 but i want a gddr5 graphics card does that work with each other?
And could some explain what the eyefinity card does exactly??.

Thank you
Reguards Rhys

More about : gddr ddr

a c 130 U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 8:33:41 AM

The DDR on your Motherboard makes no differance to what Vram or Memory is on your Graphics card you could use a card with any type of memory you liked. The two are not linked and dont have to match.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 8:34:05 AM

It works fine.

GDDR5 is simply the type of memory the graphics card uses for it's on board calculations. It's a graphical iteration of the DDR standard, works a lot faster than typical DDR memory found on motherboards in the main system to provide large bandwidth to the GPU for parallel calculations.

But yes, as long as you have a PCI-E x16 slot on your motherboard (unless its REALLY old, then the answer to that is yes), your graphics card will work just fine.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 8:34:48 AM

Yes, they will work just fine together.
The system memory and graphics card memory are completely separate things.

Eyefinity allows you to run up to 6 displays from recent AMD GPU's at the same time.
You can choose to configure them as individual displays or as a single large surface display.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 8:36:56 AM

Sorry for the double post, but i only just saw that question about eyefinity!

Eyefinity is the name ATI gives to cards than can support multiple monitors. A typical ATI card will support Eyefinity up to 3 monitors, the higher end ones can support up to 6.

So basically, you have 3 monitors, plug one in via the graphics card's DVI port, one through the HDMI port and the last one through either the DisplayPort or the D-Sub port (more likely to be DisplayPort). You will then get a triple monitor display off one graphics card.
m
l
February 11, 2011 8:47:32 AM

yeh im looking at the high end eyefinity range for my tv and 3 computer screens
m
l
February 11, 2011 8:47:45 AM

thank you for the reply
m
l
!