Dell 8400... another prolem

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi guys, Some of you might remember me when i wrote that i bought a grapic card and it didnt work and i had alot of problems with it.

Well i just called dell and told them about my problem that i had a graphic card (Nvidia 6800) which "burned" and everytime i start to boot my computer it will sound like a jetplan. They said that many have had that problem and he said that it was the motherboards fault. When i asked him to send me a new motherboard he said they they don't make those motherboard anymore and he also said that others motherboard won't work. It have a specific motherboard that only dell make and you cant buy it anymore, unless if it is used.

My question is what am i going to do? If i can't buy a motherboard that that dell used to make to a dell 8400 what am i going to do?

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Thx for the quick reply... but do you have any other advice that might fix my problem :(

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I'm sure you can find a broken 8400 that has a working motherboard. Everyone (and their grandmother) bought that PC when they came out because they were so cheap. I'd say you'll have good luck finding one. Maybe even someone local has one, check craigslist along with ebay.

You are best off getting a new PC soon though. The 8400 is really junk, it will overheat before you know it because it doesn't have proper ventilation (only through the back). You put a heavy graphcis card in one of those things and the heat will rise a lot.