Two monitors with ATi HD5850

phaisal

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
hi,
i was wondering if i could have 2 monitors(one extending the other) with VTX3D ATi HD5850 1GB card
that i have, this card has 4 outputs two of which are DVI and one is HDMI and another one is (i guess)
mini-display port, but the thing is i just want one display to be running while i am gaming and the other
to show some other stuff like web pages and all, because as i understand if i have 2 displays the game
i play will extend to the other display as well and i wouldnt like that. this question may sound silly but will
be very helpful to me.
thank you.

Connect each monitor to your card using a DVI cable and the DVI ports on your video card.

Extend your desktop to the second monitor in catalyst and position your screens appropriately. A lot of newer games allow you to play them in "Windowed" mode. In your game, switch to "windowed" mode under your game's graphics options and also under the game's graphics options set the resolution to the full resolution of the monitor on which you want the game to run. This will allow you to freely navigate between monitors and the game and your other programs.

phaisal

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Thanks alot
There is one more question that arises though. My current monitor is 19inch with 1440x900 resolution but I am lookin to buy another one that is 1920x1080 if I extend the monitor will I be able to run the new one at highest resolution? Or will that one be reduced to 1440x900 and which one should I use for primary display?
Thanks

phaisal

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
This is the monitor I am looking to buy ACER G235HBD is the spec good enough for vdo editing and gaming and watching movies?

Can you change between the game and desktop tasks just by moving your mouse to the other monitor, though?

Yes. No problem there. Both can run at their optimal resolution.