How do i know what computer part to upgrade for gaming

captkeys117

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hello,im extremely confused my computer is bout 4 years old but has been actually fine to run games for awhile until i purchased witcher 2 and saw my pc could barely run it on low settings so im looking to upgrade but not quite sure if its really worth it. should i get a new gpu or cpu or more ram?? my pc is
Alienware M17
intel core duo cpu p8400 2.26ghz/2.27ghz
ram 2gb
ati radeon 3870 x2

i apoligize if you cant understand me, thank you.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Since the M17 is a laptop, your options for upgrading are pretty slim since there isn't as big a market for laptop upgrade parts as there is for a desktop. Go for a better laptop if you still want mobile gaming otherwise look into building a desktop.

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
As the other posters said, the easy solution is to either get a new laptop or desktop. If you're in for a challenge, you could upgrade the RAM pretty easily, and possibly the CPU but no promises there. You won't be able to upgrade the graphics. Upgrading the RAM may not help much with your framerate, but it'll improve performance in other areas. Upgrading the CPU would help, but that part is likely expensive and would not offer as much performance as getting a new machine.