Sign in with
Your question

Best Card for HDTV dual monitor support? 5770orGTS450?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2011 4:38:14 PM

Okay, I'll start with this Questionnaire. See bottom for more specific description of what I'm looking for

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime in the next month or two.
BUDGET RANGE: ~$150
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
1 - Must have good preferences/customization options for using 32" Sony HDTV as secondary monitor
2 - Needs to be able to run Starcraft II without crashing. Max graphics not required, but I'd still like it to look good
3 - Would like to be able to run other games (Bioshock, Mass Effect etc.. nothing too graphically demanding) at moderately high settings,
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4670 (low profile) and OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W PSU. SLI/Crossfire compatible
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU - i7 920 2.67 GHz (currently not overclocked, but that may changed in the future)
CPU cooler - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
MOBO - ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 ATX (supports PCIe x16 2.0)
Case - crappy rosewill case (*I plan on upgrading to Antec 900 simultaneously, so Card size shouldn't be an issue)
6GB DDR3 RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg or amazon w/ free shipping via prime
PARTS PREFERENCES: No brand loyalty, I'll take either ATI or NVIDIA, whichever is best for my needs
OVERCLOCKING: Probably not
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not now, but It'd be nice to have the option for future upgrade
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Primary Monitor - 1600x900 (I think). HDTV - 1080p (1920x1080)
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

I am looking for the best card that will allow me to use my computer with its primary monitor, as well as a media center for my 32" 1080p SONY HDTV located 15ft away via an HDMI cable.

One thing that annoys me currently is that even while my HDTV is off, My computer still recognizes it and locates it in virtual space to the left of my current display. It would be nice for my CPU to only recognize the TV as a monitor when it is turned on, but that seems more like a software/driver issue than a hardware. Aside from this, my system works fine as a media center.

As far as gaming goes, I frequently get BSOD's when playing SCII for over an hour. Part of this may be from inefficient cooling within the case, but I'm planning on moving this whole rig into an Antec 900 simultaneously, so that should fix any overheating problem that could be happening. I'm not much of a gamer, so I don't need the "hot ***" card for eye-popping graphics. I just want whatever will make my games/Media content look good without crashing my computer. The less money I spend, the better, But I'd like to try to keep it under $150 if possible. Also, I think I might want a DX11 card in case future games coming out require them.

I've been looking at a few cards on Newegg,
Namely the ATI5770 and the GTS 450, as they are priced well for the features they appear to offer. Anyone got any good recommendations for me
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 5:20:52 PM

Why not just go with the Gtx 460, It has better benches than the HD5770, and also has better scaling with crossfire
m
l
February 11, 2011 5:25:26 PM

under $ 150 GPU would be the Radeon 5770 for dual monitors!!! it gets the job done well....

5770 Also supports DirectX 11!!
m
l
!