Sign in with
Your question

6gigs of 533Mhz ram Vs 4gigs of 800Mhz ram

Last response: in Memory
March 27, 2012 9:40:16 PM

I don't know much about ram, I've done some searching and asked some questions but I figured I'd come here and ask again. What would be better for mostly gaming/multitasking? 6gigs of ram @ 533Mhz or 4gigs @ 800Mhz? Maybe someone can shed some light on the subject and open my eyes lol. Thanks!

Edit:
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel core 2 extreme QX6850
GeForce 550Ti

I'm sorry if this question is already on the forums, I dont really have an excuse for that...
March 27, 2012 10:12:34 PM

It all comes down to how you use your computer. For multitasking, obviously the higher amount would be benficial but for gaming the faster could improve framerates. How much ram does your system use when multitasking/gaming?
m
l
March 27, 2012 10:29:12 PM

Idle my computer sits at 29% ram usage. Maybe a tiny bit less considering I do have a few programs running. But thats right now with Chrome open and mubmle going and some other stuff. With Skyrim running I sit at 48% usage with the 6gigs installed. I mostly play BF3 though, which I havn't tested yet.
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2012 11:09:40 PM

IMHO: I'd go faster RAM.

4GB is alot, and you have to do ALOT of things to get up there is usage.

So it's a matter of cost.
m
l
March 27, 2012 11:59:16 PM

So you think the 4gigs at 800Mhz would in the end be faster persay then the 6gigs?
m
l
a c 109 } Memory
March 28, 2012 1:10:47 AM

I think I would vote for the 6gb.

Windows 7 64 bit takes up more ram, and you will not have that much left over with 4gb.

Most studies of current gen Intel cpu's show that ram speed scaling has very little impact on real app throughput.
Synthetic bandwidth benchmarks look wonderful, but do not translate into faster apps or better gaming.

You might look for a study like this for an older tech cpu:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-memory-scaling...

Here is a corsair study I found:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65

6gb seems like a strange number. Is this an upgrade. or what?
m
l
a b } Memory
March 28, 2012 1:32:09 AM

The only real difference on an LGA 775 platform is going to be how much you can overclock. With 800Mhz RAM you are limited to a FSB of 400Mhz

But then you have an unlocked processor so it's not so big a deal.
m
l
March 28, 2012 3:02:41 AM

My CPU effects my ram speed? O.o Little confused :X I appreciate the links provided, they made things stand out a little. And as for the last comment, does that mean my motherboard will only support 800Mhz and no more? Some things I'd like to know before I try upgrading any further.

Quote:
The only real difference on an LGA 775 platform is going to be how much you can overclock. With 800Mhz RAM you are limited to a FSB of 400Mhz

If you're talking about overclocking the ram, it's something I've never really tried. Although my CPU is slightly overclocked to 3.33Ghz.

Also a little sidenote, after installing this mixed ram (2x2g 800Mhz) + (1x2g 533Mhz) I've noticed some instability with BF3. Unless my computer was just so happening to do something in the background I was unaware of but after about 5 minutes of playing multiplayer I noticed it started to stutter and lag a bit for a few minutes and go back to normal. I know mixing ram can cause some instability and was curious if this would be the cause of it. Before I didn't have any issues like that, I should probably play it a bit more to see if its a reoccurring thing as I only played one game, if that. But I notice my applications are a lot more "snappier" and responsive, especially with opening multiple new ones etc.
m
l
a c 109 } Memory
March 28, 2012 4:12:37 AM

You might want to check out your ram with memtest86+.
You should be able to run through a couple of full passes with NO errors.

When you install ram of two different speeds, you will operate at the lowest speed.

I think you might want to get a second kit of the 2 x 2gb 800 ram so all is closer to compatible.
Since all ram must operate at the same voltage, be certain that the sticks have the same voltage reqiorements.

Also, as I recall, you oc the 775 chips by increasing the fsb. This will also increase the ram speed, so the ram should be capable of handling it.
Since the 533 ram may not be capable of going much higher, this may be the cause of your instability.

Since ram is so cheap, even ddr2 ram, it might pay you to install a supported kit. Sometimes, with older motherboards like yours, the ram construction can make a difference, even with the same part number from different kits. It might be best to try a single supported 8gb kit.
The extra ram has hepled with opening apps because windows 7 has been able to keep more code in ram available for instant reuse. If 6gb is good, 8gb will be better.
m
l
a b } Memory
March 28, 2012 6:27:26 AM

geofelt said:

Also, as I recall, you oc the 775 chips by increasing the fsb. This will also increase the ram speed, so the ram should be capable of handling it.
Since the 533 ram may not be capable of going much higher, this may be the cause of your instability.

That is correct, when talking about locked processors. With an unlocked processor such as the QX9560, most of the OC is normally achieved by bumping the multiplier up I think. The base FSB for those CPUs starts at 333, so with an unlocked multiplier it's doubtful you would raise the FSB as high as 400.

Since the OP isn't really aware of that, maybe we should check into the CPU cooling while we are at it :)  Make sure that fancy processor is performing the best it can.
m
l
a b } Memory
March 28, 2012 6:33:28 AM

Oh wait, QX6850... I was reading that wrong wasn't I? :p  It does run on a 333Mhz bus though, multiplier 9.

That might require a bit more experimentation to get a good OC. Still, I doubt you need more than 800Mhz RAM
m
l
March 28, 2012 3:50:34 PM

Yeah, when I first got this computer (Dell XPS 720) it had a aftermarket CPU heatsink installed, which is why I was able to get it for free. The people that had it before werent to savy with computers I guess and didn't know that Dell and all their duechyness make pretty much everything proprietary to THEIR specs etc. So end of story they couldn't get the aftermarket one to fit on the MB. I took it, and seeing how I didn't really care what happened to the computer (I know you all will flog me for this lol) I simply set the computer on its side, threw the aftermarker heastink on the cpu with it's weight only and started it up. To my amazement the cpu was sitting at something crazily low like 10c and overclocked to around 3.5Ghz or something it was 30c idle. But obviously leaving the computer on its side all the time is quite anoying, especially when its a full size tower. So I was able to pick up a stock heatsink for cheap and slapped it in there, but Dells stock heatsink is absolute crap.... I can only safely get 3.33Ghz out of my processor without it overheating. So I dont think I'll be OC it any higher, it seems to play games maxed out just fine for now.

Quote:

And thats something I never knew about, I didn't know overclocking the CPU would also increase the memorys parameters.

End of story I guess I'll just have to wait and buy a few more sticks, or a 8gig kit for it so they all match etc. I really appreciate all the support you all have provided me with :) 
m
l
a b } Memory
March 29, 2012 4:51:54 PM

Any time you populate all 4 slots you increase the chance of problems. It's pretty common that you would have to tweak the settings of the DRAM voltage and/or timings to get everything working or stable.

You should also check the compatibility list for your board. Not as an absolute reference, but an indicator of what type of RAM is more likely to work. Those lists are always just partial... just whatever the manufacturer had on hand to test.
m
l
March 29, 2012 5:19:50 PM

Quote:
Any time you populate all 4 slots you increase the chance of problems. It's pretty common that you would have to tweak the settings of the DRAM voltage and/or timings to get everything working or stable.

I had all four slots populated before all this with 4 1gig sticks. Computer seemed to work fine. But thats another factor I'll have to take into account. At the moment I'm just using the identicle 2x2gig sticks and I havn't had the issues that I've described in games.
m
l
a b } Memory
March 29, 2012 9:59:39 PM

Yes, I didn't say it would fail, it's just a consideration. I've seen enough threads with this issue to think it's best to avoid if possible.
m
l
March 30, 2012 5:29:52 PM

Thank you very much for your opinions/help :) 
m
l
!