Sign in with
Your question

Mouse and keyboard don't respond

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2012 12:13:37 AM

Hello,
i have a desktop computer running Windows XP Pro. The computer boost perfectly and all. but once in home screen , the mouse and keyboard don't respond. I tried the hard drive on another computer and it works just fine, it recognizes the mouse and keyboard on the other computer and i am able to perform any task I want. I had also tried the mouse and keyboard on another system and they work fine. Since I am not able to get the mouse and keyboard to work, I don't know how to access the bios set up menu or device manager wizad. Thanks a bunch. Any help is greatly apprecciated.

More about : mouse keyboard respond

a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2012 1:27:05 AM

Once your PC boots, try disconnect both mouse and keyboard, then connect them again. If it doesn´t work, perhaps you get a message from your OS telling what might be wrong.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2012 1:33:33 AM

While your computer is booting up (like, RIGHT after you hit the power button to turn it on) start tapping "DELETE", "F8", "F10", F12", "F2", or "ESC" and see if any prompts appear on screen. Usually if something like this happens, the keyboard and mouse will work in the BIOS, it's a problem with the drivers in windows that are making them unusable. If you can't figure out the keys mentioned earlier, at least see if you can toggle the "NUM LOCK" light on/off until the windows home screen appears. Again, this will tell you if the problem lies within Windows or if it is a more serious issue (Really not likely if the keyboard/mouse work on a different system). Try that and see if you figure anything out.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 2:21:39 AM

jemm said:
Once your PC boots, try disconnect both mouse and keyboard, then connect them again. If it doesn´t work, perhaps you get a message from your OS telling what might be wrong.

i did it and still not response from the mouse and keyboard.
m
l
March 28, 2012 2:39:27 AM

puttsy said:
While your computer is booting up (like, RIGHT after you hit the power button to turn it on) start tapping "DELETE", "F8", "F10", F12", "F2", or "ESC" and see if any prompts appear on screen. Usually if something like this happens, the keyboard and mouse will work in the BIOS, it's a problem with the drivers in windows that are making them unusable. If you can't figure out the keys mentioned earlier, at least see if you can toggle the "NUM LOCK" light on/off until the windows home screen appears. Again, this will tell you if the problem lies within Windows or if it is a more serious issue (Really not likely if the keyboard/mouse work on a different system). Try that and see if you figure anything out.

Tapping on "DELETE", "F8", "F10", F12", "F2", or "ESC" while the computer was booting up didn't help.. It seems to me that all has to do with the driver in windows or the mobo it's not working properly. The mouse and keyboard are dead in this system. i can't get any response neither before the booth process of after. I tried resseting the CMOS memory as well to not avail. Maybe it's time to replace the mobo?, OUCH!!!!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 11:19:07 PM

If you aren't getting anything immediately after pressing the power button, it isn't a drivers issue, it is a board issue. The drivers don't have anything to do with accessing the BIOS or such, they only 'take affect' once windows starts to load. [This is a ROUGH explanation. There is more to it than that but for the sake here, it doesn't matter]

Now, is the keyboard PS/2 or USB (small and round or wide and thin?) You said you tried this K/M on a different machine and also tried different K/M on this machine and both worked. Did they all use the same connector? I have had instances where PS/2 no longer works on a system BUT, simply using a USB keyboard did. Although this implies a greater problem, you can merely buy a USB keyboard for this machine for the time being instead of getting a new board.

Also, I ask again, did you get any signal from the "NUM LOCK" light while rapidly pressing/depressing it during POST? Maybe even try toggling the "CAPS LOCK" key to see if you can at least get the indicator lights to illuminate before windows loads. Another thing to try is, disconnect your HDD (so windows doesn't try and load every time) and try further diagnostics. And do a more through CMOS clear (unplug machine, hold power button for 30 seconds, remove Battery and CMOS jumper setup for ~30 min.)

Let us know how it goes
m
l
!