Sign in with
Your question

Hard drives disappearing

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2012 1:25:41 AM

I am having an issue in Win 7 x64 where some of my hard drives will suddenly disappear and when I restart all hard drives are accounted for. Drives are in good health. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 with 6xSATAIII ports. I have 4 hard drives and SSD and a DVDRW, I also use AHCI. Usually 1 or 2 hard drives will suddenly become unavailable. I noticed that the start bar and programs are frozen for a few seconds. I have a Seasonic 620W so I know its not power. Any ideas?
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2012 2:46:48 AM

I have had this problem in the past where it has been a faulty SATA controller. You have tried a fresh installation of Windows? Often only individual SATA ports go faulty and that by connecting the disappearing drives to another port can cure the problem.
m
l
March 28, 2012 7:26:02 PM

pjmelect said:
I have had this problem in the past where it has been a faulty SATA controller. You have tried a fresh installation of Windows? Often only individual SATA ports go faulty and that by connecting the disappearing drives to another port can cure the problem.

I haven't tried fresh Windows yet. As far are using another port I cannot because I have 6 drives and only 6 ports.

Update: I was using the standard Windows AHCI driver so I updated that to my chipsets AMD AHCI driver, hopefully this will cure my issue.
m
l
!