Levels of Computer Diagnostics?

bauer5266

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Not too sure where this question goes, couldn't really find the right thread for it, but here goes.

At some computer repair shops, they offer LEVEL 1 DIAGNOSTICS AND LEVEL 2 DIAGNOSTICS, where level 1 typically runs for about $25 and level 2 is about $75.

I'm no noobie when it comes to computer repair, but what the heck do those 2 services offer/include?! I cannot find standards or specifics ANYWHERE online, it's like it's made up or something?

To be more specific, I swiped a price list from a local repair shop, here is what it says:

Troubleshooting/Diagnostics (level 1) . . . . . $25

Level 2 Systemboard Electronic Diagnostics . . . . . . . .$75

Is this old-school techie talk or are these levels of diagnostics legit?
Are they made up by the shop to charge more? If not, what are the other levels and what do they include?

Thanks for your help guys! Been Googling this for hours!!

~TripleB

TheViper

Distinguished
There are no set standards. It's all established by the repair shop.

There is some legitimacy in that basic diagnostics and repair could cover the most common problems and require little time and effort hence the lower cost while the deeper diagnostics and repair are probably cover much more specific problems that require more tools, software, expertise and time to handle, hence the higher cost.

Since a flat rate would be a problem for the repair shop (charging the same price to properly seat your RAM and making new soldier joints on your motherboard) they usually break it down to keep from overcharging for simple services or undercharging for complex services.

bauer5266

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

So basically there is no set standard and it's just a basic and advanced hardware diagnostics. Ok, thanks alot!!