Vsync question

I have 3 5850s operating in crossfire mode. I pretty much play Medal of Honor (MOH) for the most part. When I play with Vsync off, the video is extremely smooth (150-200fps), but I get occasional flicker. When I turn the Vsync on, the video maintains the 60fps to match my 60mhz monitor, though the is a clear difference in how smooth the image is and it affects playability to an extent.

Medal of Honor seems to have more flicker than any other game. When I do play NBA2k11 and BFBC2, I play those without Vsync and barely experience any flicker. I haven't even bothered to switch to Vsync in those games, because I've hardly seen flicker in them.

Why is MOH so bad with the flicker?

Do all the newer games have issues like this until the drivers catch up? Is it just a crossfire thing?

I doubt it is a CF thing. You are probably overloading on FPS and your monitor cannot take all the FPS. Does it completely go away when you turn on Vsync? If so, you don't have a issue with a video card or monitor. If 60FPS is not smooth to you, go into Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and change your monitor refresh rate. If you are using Win. 7, press start> change display settings> advanced setting> monitor refresh rate. 60FPS is pretty good though, I would take 60FPS and no flicker over 150~200FPS and flicker.

When I turn on Vsync FRAPS confirms the game funs at a constant 60fps, though, I can't really describe it, the video is just not as smooth in MOH as when I don't turn on the Vsync.

A guy on another forum pointed out this review which seems quite interesting when going with more than two AMD cards in crossfire and driver support for multi-card setups with AMD cards:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-crossfirex-review/15

I must not be the only one?

I'm thinking of going with an upgrade in a two-card setup?

yes, I know more than two GPUs can mess things up, maybe that was your issue, but if V-sync clears everything up, I think that your 3-way CF is jsut fine. I know it wouldn't be as smooth with V-sync. Did you change your refresh rate? If not, try that first. If you are going for a multi card set up, I would get two hd6950s and unlock them into hd6970s.