Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard/CPU Compatibility Question

Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2011 4:37:58 PM

I have a pcchips p53g motherboard. It currently has a Celeron 440 in it. On the CPU compatibility list, it shows it compatible with pentium/celeron/dual- and quad-core processors, but most of the ones listed are pretty ancient. I'm trying to decide if I should try throwing a newer quad-core in it (assuming the list is outdated), or just upgrade the entire motherboard. Anyone else dealt with pcchips and have any suggestions?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2011 4:46:48 PM

at this point, if you can afford it, you're better off with a new CPU, new Motherboard, and new RAM.
April 18, 2011 6:08:42 PM

You would need an LGA 775 socket CPU, which are older CPUs. If you are on a budget and can get a quad core for cheap, go for it. Otherwise, you are looking at what ScrewySqrl suggested.
Related resources
April 18, 2011 6:38:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. I can get my hands on several different new LGA775 processors. I had my eye on a Pentium DC E6600, which benchmarks 3 or 4 times higher than what I have now. Maybe even a newer Celeron DC... I know it doesnt sound lile much, but this rig isnt used for gaming or anything extraordinary. Mostly internet usage, and some light audio recording or video editing once in a great while.
April 18, 2011 9:36:55 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Here is a list of all the LGA775 processors on newegg
I would stay away from celeron's as they are much more cut back than regular pentiums.
the e6600 would be a nice pick up, but it seems a lot of the LGA775 processors are kind of expensive for how old they are. If you were looking quad core, you may as well upgrade
April 20, 2011 2:14:01 PM

Well I have been informed now by Pcchips that I should only use 65nm processors in this board, and not any 45nm. Looks like I'll be MB shopping soon.
!