Displayport and nvidia gtx 580 cards

onebigaj

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
hi, my question is what will work... im planning on buying from Digital Storm, plus a Dell UltraSharp U3011 30"W Monitor with PremierColor
i've looked at all the hardware and have settled on the system below, the monitor from dell seems to be top of the line...
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Requires EATX Chassis) (Model: 141-BL-E760-A1)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator with DHX Extreme Edition (CMP6GX3M3A1600C7)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Triple SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Overview Tech Specs
DellTM UltraSharpTM U3011 30”W Monitor with PremierColor
DISPLAY
Panel Size:
75.6 cm
30 Inches (30-inch wide viewable image size)
Aspect Ratio
Widescreen (16:10)
Panel Type, Surface:
IPS (In-Plane Switching), anti glare with hard coat 3H
Optimal Resolution:
2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz
Contrast Ratio:
1000: 1 (typical), Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 100,000:1 (Max)
Brightness:
370 cd/m2 (typical)
Response Time:
7ms (gray to gray)
Viewing Angle
(178° vertical / 178° horizontal)
Color Support:
1.07 billion colors
Pixel Pitch:
0.2505mm
Display Type
Widescreen Flat Panel Display CONNECTIVITY
2 High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
2 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
1 DisplayPort (DP)
1 Video Graphics Array (VGA)
Component Connectors
1 USB 2.0 upstream port
4 USB 2.0 downstream ports
7 in 1 Media reader
DC power connector for Dell Soundbar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT: To view the U3011 monitor native resolution of 2560x1600, your PC must have a dual-link DVI-D compatible graphics card that supports this resolution.
will the DS rig work with this monitor to give me a resolution of 2560x1600? What cables will have to be used to achive this? What would bethe proper hookup of the cables? I have the budget to do all of this ( you only live once) and i want to do it right. Im a avid gamer and want to build the best system possible. would appreciate all feedback. Thanks.......

Solution
OMFG. I'm surprised you didn't go ahead and get a blu ray drive with all that. I say you can build it cheaper yourself rather than going through Dell though.

Anyway, you just need to use a dual link DVI cable. There's no need to use a DVI to display port adapter though you can if you want to. Just make sure it's not a single link adapter or you may be limited to 1900x1200

scrice

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
as far as i know, there should be a (white) cord that will come with your monitor that will simply plug straight into a gtx580.
580s come with 2 dual link dvi ports and one mini hdmi. but you can only use 2 of these ports at once. for that super awesome res, u need to use the dual link dvi cable.
just google images dvi-d and ull know which cord your looking for.
btw sweet rig, must be costing a pretty penny. or 2...
on a side note.
id probly use a 2600k and 2 580's if i was spending up as that should still be able to max out anything at playable frames (30+/sec) and then spend again sooner when new tech comes out. but thats just me

onebigaj

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Thanks for the reply, ya... its around $7073.00 for the DS rig, and the Dell monitor is around $1050.00... figure i'll have it paid offin two years...reason im going with top end parts is that i don't want to upgrade for awhile. My concern was having three gpu's and how to wire them up in sli and then to the monitor. i figure from reading the forums that the dvi port is straight to the displayport to achive the hi res. that i want.

OMFG. I'm surprised you didn't go ahead and get a blu ray drive with all that. I say you can build it cheaper yourself rather than going through Dell though.

Anyway, you just need to use a dual link DVI cable. There's no need to use a DVI to display port adapter though you can if you want to. Just make sure it's not a single link adapter or you may be limited to 1900x1200

Solution

scrice

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
DS should be wiring the SLI up so you dont need to worry about that. you should be able to just plug that dual link DVI cable into the top 580 and it will be rock n roll.

and lol, no blu ray with all that high end gear? didnt even notice, just assumed u had it.

also raiding ssd's isnt gonna get more fps in games, its just gonna make boot/load times fast. u know that right.

how long is "a while" before u'd want to upgrade?

onebigaj

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Hey, sorry to have taken so long to reply, as far as upgrading...years......i figure with what im getting for hardware it should rock n roll for awhile....not too worry with trying to keep up with new hardware as it comes out and always trying to have the best machine to impress anyone. Just want to build a rock solid rig to last for years and play the select few games that i enjoy...mostly fps.... as for blue ray....don't have any movies that are blue ray and don't see any advantage to having it to play games. as for raiding the ssd's to 0.... yeah, i know it will be fast on booting up and not really any advantage to gaming... again, its just what i want to do for the rig. I appreciate everyone advice and comments on how to get the best out of a computer. Im a retired vet and just enjoy gaming. One thing i don't quite understand is how some people will tell you how most of the hardware you want to put into the rig is a waste of money and i should go for lesser performance, yet the rigs they own and post for the whole world to see are packed full of everything short of a nuclear bomb....! anyway... Digital storm has such a great rep for builds and customer service..and are very helpful with questions about concerns with hardware, etc,etc. Dell has had the U3011 30" monitor out for a time now and it still gets good reviews so........... that will be what i get for my game room. won't be buying till oct. or nov. 2011 as during the holidays prices drop and there are huge discounts offered by both companies trying to drum up business. The price of the DS has come down abit since i posted this thread, and should be even lower by the time i decide to buy. Thanks again for the info.