Sign in with
Your question

Problems installing xp on new homebuild!

Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2011 5:03:27 PM

Hi,

I have recently built myself a new machine but I am experiencing great problems installing XP on the new harddrive.
Here are the specs:

ECS nforce6m-a2 Motherboard
2 x 2gb ddr3 ram
AMD Phenom II X 4 955 CPU
Radeon HD5670 1GB ddr3 GFX
2 x 500GB Seagate SATA II HDD

I have built several desktops in the past and have never experienced such troubles as I do with this. Here's what happens.

I have configured BIOS to boot from cd primarily, I then saved & exit and insert the XP disk as soon as it reboots.
The disk performs the initial install procedures and after 5 mins shows the connected hard drives and partitions with the option to delete partitions or install. I click install. ( I have deleted p's previously). The following screen gives the quick or normal format option and I select either. The following screen shows the format progress. This is where it starts to act up. Sometimes it will stick at 20%, other times it will flash from 20 - 100% then show the " Error formatting the hard drive.. drive may be damaged ... etc" page. On one occassion it allowed me to perform all initial install tasks ( delete partitions, format the drive, install xp files etc) it then let me configure date/time/keyboard etc and confirmed installation telling me to remove the disc and reboot. Upon rebooting it would hang for 5 mins at the Windows logo and load bar screen before BSODing. I have attempted this on 2 drives, bought at different times and neither would install successfully on this machine. I have installed successfully on a machine of spare parts using the same xp disk and one of the hdds.
h and I have borrowed a friends windows 7 disk and found it similarly unsuccessful also.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks
April 18, 2011 5:10:02 PM

The full error message is

"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You will have to select a different partition for Windows XP. Press ENTER to continue."

Related resources
April 18, 2011 6:06:44 PM

What was the error on the BSOD reading? Were you able to install XP on BOTH hard drives on the spare machine? or just one?
April 19, 2011 2:52:44 PM

Thanks for replying themarin8r!
I only got the bsod once or twice before I attempted a reinstall and didn't make a note, foolishly. I have successfully installed xp on the both hdds using the spare machine and the same cd I using now. I even tried installing all setup files on the hd using the other machine then turning machine off during reboot and swapping the hdd to the new machine.....didn't work either
Bad times
April 19, 2011 3:02:04 PM

The reason installing on the other machine and swapping to the new machine would not work is the difference in hardware profiles. I am assuming these are SATA drives? If they are try different SATA ports than the ones you have normally been trying, see if that makes any difference. If it does, then you know it is something with the motherboard. Have you tried using different SATA Cables too? Also, how many watts is your powersupply? and is it new or previously used?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2011 4:00:18 PM

You might need to down load and use the F6 drivers. Not sure about Win 7 suppoert for your chipset, But I'm guessing that XP does not have built in support for your chipset.

What is your Bios set to for controlling your HDDs, ie AHCI, Sata, IDE mode??? If posible set to AHCI
April 19, 2011 4:07:12 PM

RetiredChief said:
You might need to down load and use the F6 drivers. Not sure about Win 7 suppoert for your chipset, But I'm guessing that XP does not have built in support for your chipset.

What is your Bios set to for controlling your HDDs, ie AHCI, Sata, IDE mode??? If posible set to AHCI

I did not think of this but have encountered it before. If you are using an older XP disc, it may not support AHCI and will not complete the install, usually you get a blue screen and then it starts over again. Like mentioned, you may have to go into the BIOS and change it for it to work. Unfortunately, if you have to do this, you cannot change it back to the faster AHCI mode, so keep that in mind.
April 21, 2011 9:26:16 PM

Ok, still having problems. The motherboard is vista and 7 certified so I'm trying now to solely get the 7 trial installed.

All day it's taken a-g-e-s (20mins) to load the installation disk as far as the format/install on hdd screen. It wont let me install and once or twice i got the error code [error: 0x8007045d]. the 7 disk lets me find the nvidia sata ahci drivers on the cd (using a second cd drive) but wont allow me to install the drivers and thus get any further.

The post screen seems to be taking a long time to complete now. 10 - 15 seconds to get signal to monitor (has always been slow) but the post screen will take upto 3 or so mins to clear 3rd master hard drive (only hdd installed). I cleared the cmos. I now keep getting 3rd boot master errors on post and it wont acknowledge the hdd.

Oh and i the post screen detects the hdd as ide but i cant find a way to change within the bios...

Thanks for your replies
April 23, 2011 5:40:21 PM

I think (hope) the problem lies with the mobo. I seem to get different install distances depending on which of the four sata sockets I use.
I have ordered a replacement and I'm crossing fingers.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 24, 2011 2:24:59 AM

OK, this has happened in the past to me. Your copy of XP, what SP is it? Most of the time you need to have to have the most current SP slip streamed into the install cd. Might want to google that. I've had it happen on a P45 series motherboard, a AMD 890GX motherboard and both times using the slip-stream method cured the problem.
April 25, 2011 4:27:27 PM

It does sound like the motherboard may be having issues if you cannot install 7 on it because that definitely has the AHCI support. Let us know if the new motherboard works
!