System clock off

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I've got a P4P800S-X board running the Athlon 3200+. My issue is minor but aggravating. If I shut the system down completely and cold boot, the system clock jumps ahead 4 hrs. and for some strange reason, causes the OS clock to jump back 4 hrs. forcing me to reset the time zone. Is this symptomatic of some pending bigger issue? Or is it some as simple as the mobo battery needing replaced? I don't want to spend any more time tinkering with this board if it's about to die on me.

Dought it is the CMOS battery as in every case my systems when the battery gets low the Bios will indicat a "OLD date/time (Time goes to Midnight and date usally to Jan 01, xxxx). If real low/dead the system will boot to Bios after an error message.
BUT for 5 bucks cheap and simple to rule out.

More probable.
Have you ever install one of thoes programs that auto checks/sets the time once OS has loaded, ie Atomic clock comes to mind - if so uninstall or delete program.
Also possible virus/malware

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
No, it's not setting bios clock 'bacK', it's jumping forward.
But when I get into the OS, it's gone back. Basically an 8 hr. difference between the bios time and the OS time, neither of them being the right time.

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

But it doesn't 'fix' the problem. The problem returns every time I shut the system down and power back up later. And later can range from 2 minutes to 2 days. As I asked earlier, my concern is, should I be looking out for something else? Is it just a glitch or am I on the verge of a catastrophic mobo meltdown?

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Exactly, I don't want to go on my merry way, installing programs etc. only to have everything come to a crashing hault. I've already been through the aggro of trying to get my win7 licence reactivated because of memory issues (different system).

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Your computer is faster than you think... it's coming back from the future! :pt1cable:

Replacing the BIOS battery is one way about it, or you could pull the battery completely and repeat the scenario. If the exact same thing happens, then it's likely the battery. But if pulling the battery results in what normally happens (setting the clock to Jan 1, 199x/200x, then it's something else. Something odd.
Coincidentally, pulling the battery might flush the bug/problem. All of these latter things can be done for free.

Last thing you might want to check is your timezone in Windows. Unlikely to be related and probably correct, but worth a quick check.

But thanks for the post, I'm putting this one in my "x-files" file. :)

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

I know the time zone is correct, because I have to reset it every time I cold boot. For some reason the OS jumps to West Coast time after the reboot. But, what the hey I'll pull the battery and see what happens.

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Interesting, I have discovered that removing the battery and allowing the CMOS to return to defaults resetting the clock to jan 2006 doesn't fix the issue. However I have also discovered that the clock time change only occurs if I enter the BIOS. If I just cold boot without going into the settings the OS retains the correct time and time zone.

Since I have now got the various settings where I wanted them, I'll stay out of the BIOS for a while and see how things go.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Definitely odd. But I suspect it's a good enough band-aid to get you buy... at least until you feel it's time to retire the system.

Do update us here tho... this is odd enough to pique my curiosity. :bounce:
:)

TRENDING THREADS