CyberPower Build - Any thoughts or advice

wowhead73

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Ok - So I'm finally getting into the building of a gaming system. This is the first system I've purchased that's designed for gaming rather than just being a powerful system with a half-way decent graphics card. The system seems pretty solid to me and it will be used for the following, in this order:
Warcraft
Internet
Music and such

Nothing major except for Warcraft. Although there are some seriously sick looking games out there, it's Warcraft and whatever my fancy on the PS3 is at the time. I may get into Starcraft, or break out some older C&C or AOE, but Warcraft will be the primary.

I based the build off some of the posts I've read on Tom's Hardware regarding HyperThreading and some of the video cards. Now I wouldn't mind going with a GTX 580 or even the HD 5970...just not willing to shell out another $200-300 just for the video upgrade and I'm really trying to keep it under $1300-1400. I still need a monitor to go with it so I figure that's another couple Hun for a nice one.

Let me know your thoughts please. I appreciate it. Thanks.

BASE_PRICE:[+715]

CAS:* Apevia X-Plorer 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window and MultiMeter Display (Silver Color with 200mm UV Blue LED Fan

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU:Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

CS_FAN:Default case fans

FAN:XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

HDD:64 GB A-DATA S596 Turbo Series Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)

HDD2:500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY:8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX

MOTHERBOARD:* [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [B3 Stepping]

MULTIVIEW:Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors

NETWORK:Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS:Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

OVERCLOCK:Ultimate OC (Ultimate Overclock 30% or more)

POWERSUPPLY:* 650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

USB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Superclocked

_PRICE:(+1297)

And the actual link if you want it - http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D69DV

Again - anything advice you can throw out there is apprecaited.

That ultimate overclock is very expensive and for a gaming build i think you should go for 4GB RAM. I would save cash in these areas and see if you can get enough cash for a GTX 560Ti. By not overclocking your system will be weaker at the moment but you won't notice it until this hardware gets a bit older. Hopefully by then you can do it yourself.

wowhead73

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for the thoughts. I toyed with a bunch of different configs and have come up with this so far.

Slightly different build this time, but not by much.

8GB of RAM Corsair or comperable rather than the Kingston HyperX - save $66
No OC - saves $99

I'll be keeping the liquid cooler for future OC'ing though, and since most of the standard fans aren't showing as being compatible with the 1155 socket, this may be the best way to go.

Now, with dropping roughly $160 off the build I posted the first time - $1297 total, i'm now looking at just over $1300 since I boosted up to the GTX 570 and stepped up the power supply by 100watts.

My second option is to go the 560 route, probably the 2GB version which would drop my cost to around $1250. I'm researchign the cards to get benchmark info and such, but real world info is even better. If anyone has thoughts on the 2 cards, let me know.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D6B6N

Again...Thx Everyone!

I really don't think you will even notice 8GB RAM over 4GB while gaming. I would suggest getting 4GB and ditch the water cooling for some cheaper air cooling. That way you may be able to upgrade your graphics some more. GTX 580, HD 6970 or GTX 460 SLI are all good options. I say this because i just don't think water cooling and 8GB RAM are necessary for gaming, you will see a bigger improvement with one of those graphics setups. (RAM and cooling are cheap to upgrade in future, graphics isn't)

wowhead73

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Agreed - Reduced to 4GB and went with a solid air cooler. The case has a temp sensor and I'll probably install an aftermarket temp sensor or device (haven't looked at them yet), once I get ready to OC it. I can figure out cooling at that point, if it needs anything. It's dropped the config down to roughly $980, which is sweet for another video upgrade....except.....

I need to upgrade to at least the 64GB SSD. Windows 7 and WoW won't run on the 30GB version.

Thanks for the info and advice JM - I do appreciate it. If anything else comes to mind, let me know. I'll probably look at purchasing the system torwards the middle of next week.

I think then that the cheapest graphics upgrade which would enable you to get the 64GB SSD would be GTX 460 SLI (Make sure to get the 1GB version and DO NOT get the SE version, it's a weaker version.) Also with this you would need to upgrade the motherboard to ASUS P8P67 PRO or equivalent. Still works out a lot cheaper than a single GTX 580 and should have roughly the same gaming power. Also would still be fine on 750W.

EDIT: Also for some reason they charge extra for the Palit version, that one is ok but i wouldn't pay extra for it.

sleapeasy

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Why not build it??? and if you arent gonn build it, im assuming the is cp build. Which is trouble... In the last 9 years i have bought 3 computers. 1 from CP, built one, and custompcandrepairs was my last one. I saw good posts on here about them so i tried them. Building it myself was the mot satisfying, yet time consuming. CP was nothig but a headache with a mediocre product, and custompcandrepairs was the easiest most hassle free way. Building it yourself will be a little cheaper but not by much.

I-Fulgore-I

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Replace the XtremeGear Liquid Cooling with the 510C. It's a lot better, and the option is +0. If the 510C isn't available get the 550C or whatever the number is. Should be like 20 more dollars. Also that psu is bad. Try to get another.

jbrinkley

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Cyberpower is serious trouble. I am now 6 months outside the 2-year warranty and I have had (3) faulty motherboards, (1) faulty power supply, (1) bent case (which I never claimed but should have) and (3) faulty video cards (two of which were RMA'd, the 3rd just happened after the warranty expired).

Cyberpower's tech support is incredibly slow to respond, useless, defensive and apprehensive about honoring their warrantied items. Unfortunately, I have replaced virtually everything within this case on my own, re-wired it twice, all the while please keep in mind that this was supposed to be a top-of-the-line gaming machine, tested and assembled by Cyberpower....I've done every ounce of troubleshooting on this machine on my own. It all started when they sent me a computer and forgot to put the screws in the PCI cards before shipping it so they bounced around inside the case. I am amazed this company is still in business. Just the meer fact that there is someone out there that has had this level of service from them should make you cautious.

Beware!!!!! Steer clear of these crooks. :fou: