Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replacement for GeForce 3 Ti200?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 12, 2011 7:04:58 AM

The fan on my (very old, I know) GeForce 3 Ti200 is dying. I assume it'd be more trouble that it's worth to fix the fan, so it looks like I need a new graphics card. Which one should I get?

I have an Asus P4S333 motherboard, which appears to support AGP 4x and 1.5v. The CPU is a 1.8 GHz Pentium 4. The PSU is a Thermaltake TR2-430W (a recent replacement for an earlier supply that died).

I'm very poor -- otherwise I'd be buying a new, decent system. It looks like there are a lot of compatible cards in the $40 range or so, and that's about all I can afford. However, I've seen mentions on the net that not all AGP 4x cards will actually be compatible with my system. Anyone know if one of those sub-$40 video cards will definitely work with my system?

Thanks in advance!
February 12, 2011 4:17:10 PM

jiawen said:
The fan on my (very old, I know) GeForce 3 Ti200 is dying. I assume it'd be more trouble that it's worth to fix the fan, so it looks like I need a new graphics card. Which one should I get?

I have an Asus P4S333 motherboard, which appears to support AGP 4x and 1.5v. The CPU is a 1.8 GHz Pentium 4. The PSU is a Thermaltake TR2-430W (a recent replacement for an earlier supply that died).

I'm very poor -- otherwise I'd be buying a new, decent system. It looks like there are a lot of compatible cards in the $40 range or so, and that's about all I can afford. However, I've seen mentions on the net that not all AGP 4x cards will actually be compatible with my system. Anyone know if one of those sub-$40 video cards will definitely work with my system?

Thanks in advance!

If the Geforce3 was adequate for what you were doing then almost any card that is compatible with your AGP slot would work.
I purchased an old ATI Radeon 9100 on Ebay for an AGP based system running Vista. It out performs a Radeon 9000Pro and a Radeon 9200 and it was only about $15.
You can also still find Radeon 9700 and 9800 cards around at low prices.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 12, 2011 5:54:40 PM

mrjericho1991 said:
i would go with this,its best for your pc and budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

64 bit wide memory path on that one and the 6200s are only marginally faster than the 5200s.
There is a 5500 listed there too.
However, again, any of these would be an upgrade from a Geforce3.
Just don't expect great frame rates under DX9 at anything like higher resolutions.

February 12, 2011 6:15:03 PM

you should try to run games at 1024 x 768.and take settings to low to play games with playable fps.
m
l
February 13, 2011 2:15:23 AM

Thanks, all, for the advice! I went to Micro Center today and bought one of these. I probably overpaid for it, but I also wanted a bricks-and-mortar store I could go to if I needed to return it. So far, it's working fine. I'll let everyone know if I encounter problems further down the line.

m
l
April 20, 2011 4:02:27 AM

Best answer selected by jiawen.
m
l
!