Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Would the following RAM work on the following board

Last response: in Memory

Best solution

March 28, 2012 6:06:29 PM

ive never had trouble with g-skill on a gigabyte board but its not on their "official" compatibility list. though nobody will test all ram on their boards. the model # of the individual stick might be on their list but there is no way to tell.

on a side note. are you sure you need 16GB. if its a gaming rig, you dont. also if its a gaming rig, you can get ddr3 1333 and get 99% the performance and save $100.
March 28, 2012 6:13:52 PM

actually these are on super special after instant code it's only $103. I figured spend the extra money now and be future proof for a while.
Related resources
a b } Memory
March 28, 2012 6:15:40 PM

It will work, but you're spending more money than you need to.

1. That's a quad channel kit, the motherboard is dual channel. Save some money and buy a dual channel kit instead.

2. 16GB is way more memory than you need unless you're doing image/video editing/rendering. 8GB is more than enough for gaming and any amount of multitasking you'd like.

3. DDR3-2133 is a waste of money. You won't get any better performance out of your system over DDR3-1600, which costs half as much and has way better latencies.

My typical memory budget for any gaming rig is $50. I've yet to find a reason to spend more than that for any gaming rig.
a b } Memory
March 28, 2012 6:23:55 PM

dv310p3r said:
actually these are on super special after instant code it's only $103. I figured spend the extra money now and be future proof for a while.

It's still an awful deal at $100. The difference between this memory and a standard 8GB kit for $40 is very, very, very small. My computer rarely exceeds 60% memory usage with 8GB, and that's with a game, Firefox + dozens of tabs, visual studio, an FTP server, media server and tons of other little utilities running simultaneously.

Getting 16GB will just mean you have 12GB of memory sitting around doing nothing instead of 4. By the time you need that extra memory, it's going to be horribly out of date.

I'd strongly recommend saving the money and getting 8GB of DDR3-1600, or even 1333.
March 28, 2012 6:30:06 PM

I believe I shall take that advice and save the money as you suggest. Thanks all for the input.
March 28, 2012 6:30:48 PM

Best answer selected by dv310p3r.
a c 146 } Memory
March 28, 2012 6:46:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!