Blu-ray from mobo or GFX?

zutton_421

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I've been meaning to convert my pc to a media centre since I hardly ever use it anymore. Being a film enthusiast, it's very important that I be able to watch blu-ray, and preferably with as little hassle as possible (I'd much rather go via HDMI than DVI).

Hence the question: do I need HDMI output from my motherboard or my graphics card? I currently have a Radon HD 4870 installed, but alas: no HDMI. I see the Radeon HD 5570 is quite modestly priced, and that includes HDMI output. Problem is, apparently it sucks in most other regards.

I'd like to keep my current setup for the most part, so that the new media centre will be able to double for games. But do I need a new motherboard if I want an HDMI out? Or replace my GFX?

I have an Asus M4N78 mobo, so I could grab a Gigabyte card with HDMI (and DDR3 support) for cheapsies instead.

I'd really love some help on this. Thanks.

Hdmi output comes from MB only if you have and use a IGP (no dedicated gpu) otherwize it comes from the Graphics card. IGPs are not that good at games, and for some down right poor. Based on that I would recommend the graphics card route. On GPU you will have decide based on cost what you can live with in terms of the games you play. For display on tV, most will work fine - go for a 1 gig version.

Don't forget, Need a Blu-ray player (blu-ray ROM/DVD-RW (less than $100) and blu-ray software, if it does not come with drive (some OEM drives do nOT include4 as a freebee).

Another option: I also use. Buy a standalone Blu-ray player/DVD writer w/aTuner. Hook cable to it and output to TV. Can record to DVD-R.
I have the Samsung P2770HD and have two computers, Over-the-Air Ant, and the Standalone DVD record /Tuner all hook to it. This is not the best Monitor for this as it has limited input capabilities.