Booting problem, need advice!.

cesarsm84

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hello!
Well, as title says! i have been having some booting problems with my motherboard, well i think is the motherboard, so i need some advice on what to do next!!.

My PC:

Core i7 920 3.6GHz stable.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
RAM 6GB

The problem im getting is when i turn off the pc at the night, and want to turn it on next day, it just stays off, when i press chasis power button and mobo power button is the same, the motherboard leds are on, but nothing happens. The psu i think its fine because i use a jumper and everything turns on. so after 5-20 mins or 1 or 2 hrs that i pressed the button turns on, and when windows load, the time and date is wrong and i have to set it again, the battery is fine i checked it with a multimeter and voltage is 3.05v constant without a drop. :fou:

It could be a bios problem?? i haven't flashed it because there is no new bios version for that motherboard.

the problem here is that i dont have other cpu or mobo for testing.

so what would i do next???
would i go and buy an used cheap motherboard until 3770k is out????
or what would u do?

Grettings. :hello:

cesarsm84

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I checked yesterday if it was a new bios update and ther was one, so I did the update, im going to check if im having the same problem when i get back to home! and i let u know!.

suteck

Distinguished
Usually when you lose the date and time the battery is the culprit. There're cheap, replace it anyway to be sure. The other possibilities are the power supply is shorting the motherboard, the motherboard has a short in it or the bios are corrupted. You leave the power supply plugged into the wall and turned on correct? If you are turning off a power strip that powers the computer - don't. The power supple trickle feeds the motherboard a small charge constantly.
The current bios for your board is the F13. Is that what you have? GET IT HERE if not. There are also 2 Beta versions if you want to give one of them a try - I wouldn't. but you can get them from the same page if you're interested. You should be able to flash your current ones even to the same version in case that's the problem.
One workaround you could try is to go to the power management and let it go into sleep mode instead of turning it off. Everything powers down but not off. Then you just click a mouse button and BOOM, everything's right where you left it.
Only other thing I would try is switching out the psu. If not that then the motherboard would be the last thing.

cesarsm84

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

I will try a new battery, just to be sure.

I had bios f12. I updated to f13 yesterday. That was on beta testing 2 months ago when i checked for a new update.
And yes i am leaving the psu connected to a nobreak always. But i get the same problem if leave it on or off.

If i let the system sleep, it wont boot up again. I tried that before.

I will be testing it.

suteck

Distinguished
If the new battery works at first and then your problem resumes I would look hard into the psu. You didn't mention which psu you have. Is it a good one? You know, name brand, with a solid rating, what Wattage?? Needs to be a very reliable one or you will start having all kinds of problems. Buy one, return it if it doesn't fix the problem. I like buying open box. But get one you want to keep in case it solves the problem, and there's a good chance it will.

cesarsm84

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Oh yeah forgot to mention.

Its a coolermaster silent m 1000w.

I doubt is a psu problem. But ill check everything.

How to be sure that is a faulty psu?? Just trying another one??

suteck

Distinguished
Download OCCT and run the psu test. You will get a warning about it being VERY taxing on your psu but if there's nothing wrong with it there shouldn't be a problem. I've used it a few of times myself and only once did I lose a psu. But after I changed it out the computer ran fine afterwards. So I will warn you on that score. It really does test the power supply.

BerylLee

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
That's really weird i used to work on exact EX58-UD4P and 920 ~
The difference could be power supply, or memories.
I don't think it is memory problem, the problem may get more complicated with memory ..

cesarsm84

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Yea i dont think that is a memory problem i ran memtest on all modules and they are fine.

Now, i have not found the battery here in my town. To check time&date problem. I will keep serching. It has to be model 2023? Or coul it be another one??

About the booting issue i might found the problem. And tell me if i could be right.

Always when i turn on the pc, room temp is about 27-28 Celsius. And after some time i turn the a/c on and change room temp about 19-20 C until the morning. So when i want to turn the pc on next day its everything is cold. So i was having the same issue of not booting and i thought ok i will heat the motherboard with a heat gun and see what happens, guess what?? At he moment that i started to heat it, it turned on. So is there a way that the mobo is protecting the system to not turn on so the temp varition create condensation? I was thinking that i dont know if im right.

So i will keep testing it. And let u know what i found.