Sign in with
Your question

Strange connection problem

Last response: in Networking
August 5, 2010 12:13:40 PM

hi, I have this strange problem on my DSL line with a router (windows 7 OS):

1. when I download a file, nearly always the download freezes, if I hit "pause" "restart" in the Firefox download window then it goes on, until it does it again.

2. very occasionally I open a new firefox window and it will not have a connection, for a few seconds.

3. I can upload a file, for example to facebook, but I can't upload attachments to the webinterface of an email account, either gmail, or my university webmail system, using either firefox, or IE, or thunderbird.

4. I can send and receive emails, but I cannot attach files of 1MB or higher with Thunderbird. Initially I couldn't even attach a file of 30KB, but after disabling my antivirus, killing its process and restarting thunderbird, I started to be able to attach these small files, even if the antivirus is running (I disabled any email protocol checking anyway).

a few weeks ago my XP netbook was able to send attachments via wireless, but right now it's not booting so I can't test it.

Why is the email attachment different to uploading a file to facebook? is there a problem in my router or ISP, or is it with windows 7? how can I check?

thanks
Anonymous
August 6, 2010 3:00:38 AM

See what happens if you disable Windows Firewall (and any other you may have installed).
August 6, 2010 7:54:04 AM

no firewall is active
August 6, 2010 12:47:09 PM

it's not the router, I fixed my netbook and it can send attachments.
!