Sign in with
Your question

cant get on the Internet but am connected

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 6, 2010 7:28:51 PM

Hello,
I am using Windows XP on a Lenovo laptop and suddendly I am no longer able to use any browser to get on the Internet. However, the computer is connected to the wireless newtwork and I can use my Skype account and access my VPN. I've done several fixes - checked my TCPIP stack , my NIC and my LAN and it shows all are working properly. I believe it may have something to do with the routing and internet connection not working. I don't know what to do next. I can't download spyware because I can't access the Internet. Right now I'm using a different laptop but need to get mine online ASAP.

Any advice is appreciated.

More about : internet connected

November 6, 2010 7:50:30 PM

download Malwarebytes onto a USB stick and connect the USB stick to your Lenovo before turning it on.

Turn on your laptop and boot into Save Mode with Network. install Malwarebytes from the USB stick and then update (if it connects) and run a full scan.

November 6, 2010 9:45:19 PM

ok I will try this - is Malwarebytes free or do I need to buy it? HOw do I boot into Safe Mode with Network?
Related resources
November 6, 2010 10:22:09 PM

Emerald said:
download Malwarebytes onto a USB stick and connect the USB stick to your Lenovo before turning it on.

Turn on your laptop and boot into Save Mode with Network. install Malwarebytes from the USB stick and then update (if it connects) and run a full scan.

Hi Emerald - thank you for this advice. I did as you suggested. it is still running and so far it looks like no objects have been infectected. what would the next step be either way? If no objects are identified as infected should I just restart and try connecting?

Thanks for your help and advice with this.
November 6, 2010 10:56:02 PM

ok i ran the scan and no malicious files were found. any other suggestions?
November 7, 2010 7:24:05 AM

After running a diagnostics for IE and WinXP it looks like I"m getting an HTTPS Error: 12007 - it says the server name or address could not be resolved.

Any other suggestions? I'm not sure what to do next or even who to call for tech support... I am living in France and don't speak French well enough to engage in a technical conversation.
!