6GB of "Hardware Reserved" memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hey all, you've helped me out before. Finally joined up to ask what has been the most annoying problem with this rig.

Windows (x64 Ultimate) says of my 12GB of RAM, only 5.97GB were usable. I poked around with the resource monitor and found out half was "hardware reserved." Surely that can't be right.

I've reseated my RAM sticks a couple times, I've memchecked all of it, I've gone through the msconfig, I took my CPU out to check the pins (it's a core i5) to no avail. I'm out of ideas and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. And to answer a couple questions now, yes my mobo supports 16GB of DDR3 at various speeds, I've got 2x2GB and 2x4GB sticks.

Thanks in advance.

jklsdfjkl.png

Image of resource manager and whatnot

Solution

Do you have a 6GB stick? No, that was from (1) 2GB and (1) 4GB i.e. 2xDIMM slots working, and 2xDIMM slots FAILING (Blue + Black).

Again, as above - "d. Determine bad DIMM slots: Using (1) stick boot until failure and map bad DIMM slots. Then don't use them and if necessary break the Dual Channel; with DDR3 the advantages are small. In other words live with it. It's clear 2xDIMM slots are bad - one of each Blue & Black. "

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I have the same situation, 6GB memory in use. Max memory is unchecked. As I been led to understand this, Win7 maps the reserved memory for use if needed but it's in actuality free until it actually has to be used. Video cards seem to be the largest user of this reserved memory. It also has a bearing on how large your page file is. The larger the page file, the less memory reserved but more HDD 'thrashing'.
I realize my explanations aren't technically described but that's what I can glean from what I've read...
Your Startup files loaded have a huge impact on memory used so don't be loading programs like Excel and Photoshop and games on startup. I would hope people know that by now, though.,

No, Hardware Reserved should never exceed 20MB~30MB + 64MB~512MB Shared RAM for iGPU.

This seems to be more of an issue of using the wrong DIMM Slots and the BIOS is shutting down 2GB + 4GB, not to mention the Mix-Match RAM.

Q - What LGA 1156 MOBO?
Q - Is the RAM installed 2x2GB (one color DIMM slots) and 2x4GB (other color DIMM slots)?
Q - What exact RAM? Please provide links to each kit.

My guess is the 2GB + 4GB (one color DIMM slots) + 2GB + 4GB (other color DIMM slots) which is wrong.

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

1. Yeah, its an Asus P7H57D-V EVO

2. Yeah, they have different heat spreaders and the DIMMs are different colors. I triple checked that

3. It was G SKILL stuff I know. The new stuff (2x4GB) was some Sniper series, the older sticks (2x2GB) were just generic G SKILL. I can open my case up and get the specific series if thats needed.

Even if I goofed the DIMMs, I'd have 8GB, not the full 12GB

Go back to basics....

Just use the 2 x 4GB... your sys see the full 8GB (near enough)? Check manual t omake sure in the optimum slot

Then take them out and put in the 2 x 2GB... you see the full 4GB?

Then recheck manual and put them in together.... go back to seeing 6GB?... I think Jaq on the right lines.

Cheers

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I agree with jaquith. The only thing I would add is if the mobo (not sure what model) has built in video and you are not using built in video, just to make sure to disable it and check to see your memory is not being reserved for the built in video device.

I'm not speaking of the RAM Spreaders, I mean the Black & Blue DIMM slots:

Choices:
1. CPU: | 2GB | 4GB | 2GB | 4GB | ; best
2. CPU: | 4GB | 2GB | 4GB | 2GB | ; optional

I still need to know the MODELS of G.SKILL; example - http://gskill.com/products.php?index=351

In addition to 9/10 wrong DIMM slots (MOBO RAM Slots) being used you probably have a mixture of Frequency, certainly CAS Timings and perhaps Rated Voltages (1.50v at defaults).

ref: ASUS P7H57D-V EVO - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7H57DV_EVO/#specifications

Note the Blue an Black DIMM slots:
U1by5KDMsXYEUzBs_500.jpg

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I meant that I made sure (using the spreaders) that they're paired up correctly in the DIMMs.

As for RAM:
http://gskill.com/products.php?index=389

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=247

Checking it with CPU-Z has brought something up: they're clocked differently. The 2x2GB are PC3-10700 (DDR3-1333?) and the 2x4GB are PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600?) Would that make a difference? And if so, how would one fix it? Just OC the slower stuff?

Q - Is the RAM installed = CPU: | 2GB | 4GB | 2GB | 4GB | ; best or looking at the spreaders left to right: Grey | Black | Grey | Black ?

Correct those sticks are radically different CAS and Frequency kits.

F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
DDR3-1600 7-8-7-24-2N @ 1.35v

F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR1
DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.35v

The math:
DDR3-1600 7-8-7-24-2N @ 1.35v
DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.35v
========================
DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.35v ; slowest of each setting wins and averaging the voltage ~ highest voltage (often unsolvable).

BIOS:
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1333
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS PRE -> 9
DRAM RAS ACT -> 24
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
-
IMC Voltage -> 1.20v
DRAM Voltage -> 1.35v~1.40v ; try the higher first then attempt the 1.35v

Save & Exit = Yes

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, that's how they're installed. Guess I figured the timing and whatnot didn't really matter as long as both sticks in a pair were identical.

Will try these bios settings here in a couple minutes. Here's hoping that'll do it

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Tried all that. 1.4v then 1.35v and both times when the bios came up it said "Overclocked failed! Press F1 to run SETUP or F2 to load default values"

Starting to sound like I'm doomed to have only 6GB of RAM :/

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Well this is odd.

CPU | blank | 4GB | blank | 4GB

8GB of RAM. 3.97GB usable. 4130MB Hardware Reserved.

Does this mean it's an OS issue? Looking at the 2GB sticks I pulled out, the sticker on em says "DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 2GBx2 CL7-8-7-24 1.35v"

EDIT: Checked the other sticks and they read "DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4GBx2 XMP CL9-9-9-24 1.5v"

No that means a bad DIMM issue (aka a bad MOBO). Causes: 1. Bad MOBO, 2. Bent CPU pin(s), 3. Oxidation, 4. Grounding short often from a metal <-> MOBO contact from a e.g. metal back-plate from the HSF.

Try:
CPU: | 4GB | blank | 4GB | blank | ; either is acceptable

IF you have the same problem then you have a dead channel which is probably the case.

Solutions:
a. Clean the DIMM contacts: remove the RAM, dampen contacts with 70%~90% Isopropyl alcohol, insert into DIMMs, remove and wipe-off, repeat, with the RAM removed allow 5~10 to dry and try again.
b. HSF grounding: Metal back-plate | Plastic washer || MOBO || Plastic washer | Standoff ; N/A with Stock HSF
c. CPU Pin(s): Remove CPU and look for bent or misaligned pins, using a Jeweler's tweezers realign (carefully!!!). Clean the CPU and HSF with lint free towel and Isopropyl alcohol and reapply new TIM; I recommend Arctic Cooling MX-4
d. Determine bad DIMM slots: Using (1) stick boot until failure and map bad DIMM slots. Then don't use them and if necessary break the Dual Channel; with DDR3 the advantages are small. In other words live with it. It's clear 2xDIMM slots are bad - one of each Blue & Black.
e. RMA: If the MOBO is still under warranty then arrange a Cross-Ship, otherwise a standard RMA is ~30 days.
f. New MOBO

kyraiki

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I had this same issue, but on an Asus Sabertooth x58 motherboard. 12 GB (6 x 2 GB sticks) were installed in the correct configuration, but Windows would only see half. After searching for a while, I found that a lot of people had the same problem. For some reason, some motherboards don't like every available memory slot to be populated. You may want to search around Google or forums to see if other people are having the same issue as you; may be a defect.

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

This rig is close to 3 years old, I doubt it's still under warranty. Well that's some disheartening news. Was hoping it was going to be a software issue. Will try this stuff in tomorrow, I'm exhausted and don't feel like digging around in my machine for the umpteenth time today. I read up on the bent CPU pins and I do know it's not that, I checked the pins earlier today. I guess if it is a bad mobo I'll know to check all my DIMMs on future builds :lol:

Thanks for the advice so far people, especially you jaquith. Really appreciate it :D

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Wait a minute, just had a thought. If the DIMMs were bad how come with just the 2 4GB sticks in there I have 3.97GB available of the 8GB, and when just the 2 2GB sticks were in I had 2.97GB available of the 4GB? Somethings straight taking up half the memory. Isn't that a software issue? If the DIMMs were defective they wouldn't count the RAM in the slot no matter what right?

Do you have a 6GB stick? No, that was from (1) 2GB and (1) 4GB i.e. 2xDIMM slots working, and 2xDIMM slots FAILING (Blue + Black).

Again, as above - "d. Determine bad DIMM slots: Using (1) stick boot until failure and map bad DIMM slots. Then don't use them and if necessary break the Dual Channel; with DDR3 the advantages are small. In other words live with it. It's clear 2xDIMM slots are bad - one of each Blue & Black. "

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.