Audio Confusion

surly

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
I've never quite been able to figure out how my audio setup is currently configured, it's short-comings and where I could improve it. Any help would be great!

I have a Klipsch audio system, purchased with my last machine which I no longer use (Alienware, probably purchased 2002). I'd imagine it's a 2.1 system? It has 4 speakers (2 main, 2 satellites, though they look identical) and a subwoofer. I couldn't be happier with the sound, great range and power.

The audio system is being used on a newer Dell machine, meaning the basic case and integrated sound card. I've upgraded the cpu, gpu and power... its a solid gaming system.

My issue is that the audio system only has 2 output plugs, not a separate one for the subwoofer. I'm not sure where I should really be plugging them into, I get varied results when trying different combinations on the back of my Dell case. I believe music plays on all speakers and sounds great, but in a game like Modern Warfare 2 only the two main speakers and subwoofer are working (I have it set on Stereo, but I've also tried the 5.1 setting). It's not bad, I don't believe I'm losing any audio (like footsteps to my far left or right)... but it's just frustrating that it's not setup properly.

Is my audio system simply more outdated than my machine?

As mentioned, I'm happy when playing music... I mostly have an issue with games. Just not sure the right direction to go to improve the setup, or if it's worthwhile to pursue improving. I'd hate to toss out a great audio system and shell out $300 for a new 5.1 system just for this issue, and I can't imagine a dedicated audio card would solve the problem.

Sorry that I can't be more clear, any thoughts would be great.

Solution
Yeah, stereo sound = Front Left and Front Right (and subtimes sub). If the audio is 2.1, the other speakers will play nothing. If the source is 5.1, all speakers will output audio.

Most games have 5.1 sound these days, but most music is still 2.1. So either you need a software solution that will upmix to 5.1, or a soundcard with the necessary capabilities.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
no your audio is plug and play - all are no drives needed with vista or 7

xp you may need to configure but it should be auto too - if you had a different system hooked up it may be stuck on that or defult.

control panel>sound> reconfig

use the test signal and poke around in the sound area

GL!

surly

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
I'm using Vista.

I believe when doing a sound test all speakers fire. Yet when I'm in a game I do not get any sound from the satellite speakers.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

He has a 4.1 system. Personally, I'd tell windows to treat it as a 5.1, minus the center speaker. (You can configure that through the Windows Control Panel). Worst case, set it to 5.1; the center speaker signal will go out, but shouldn't be played.

surly

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for the response!

I have more information, hopefully it will help.

I have a Dell e521 system and I'm using the audio inputs on the back of the case. I have set it to 5.1 sound, each speaker except the subwoofer (no sound) tests correctly.

BUT, when I play audio (winamp, movies, etc...) I get the two main speakers and subwoofer, but the satellite speakers are not firing.

I've tried all the options I can think of and just haven't had any luck on a configuration that works.

This is a diagram of the system. Again, I have the Klipsch 4.1 which has two jacks... any help on which goes where would be awesome.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime521/multlang/PM/DAO/PY350A00.pdf

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
in winamp by default you have stereo output. if you want more, you should search winamp site for 4/5.1 extenders. I personally prefer the music in stereo.

also check the audio settings of your movie player to see how it is set.

Audio encoded in 2.1 will only play back 2.1, unless the speakers are configured to "fill" the missing channels (usually by replicating the front speakers to the rear), or by upmixing to 5.1 (or in this case, 4.1). Most of the time though, onboard lacks that capacity.

surly

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
But shouldn't stereo be outputting the audio to at least all of the speakers? Meaning the left side would be playing on the left speaker and left rear?

I swear at one point I had all the speakers firing.

MW2 gives me the option of Stereo, Quadraphonic or 5.1. What do you suggest I use? To be honest, I've tried all three and haven't noticed a difference.

surly

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Gamer: I should've read your post more thoroughly. So if I keep the same speakers and pick up a decent soundcard that might allow me to fill the missing channels?

I had a dedicated soundcard with the last system that used these speakers, that would explain why I don't remember having issues with the surround speakers in the past.

Thanks!

Yeah, stereo sound = Front Left and Front Right (and subtimes sub). If the audio is 2.1, the other speakers will play nothing. If the source is 5.1, all speakers will output audio.

Most games have 5.1 sound these days, but most music is still 2.1. So either you need a software solution that will upmix to 5.1, or a soundcard with the necessary capabilities.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS