Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2011 9:11:17 PM

System for dual monitors
basic usage, surfing, watching youtube, playing poker,etc etc
running two 1920x1080 monitors

parts i already have:
gskill phoenix 120gb ssd
2x4gb gskill ram
corsair ax 850(overkill but i have it lying around, so why not)
windows 7
keyboard
mouse
mousepad

Parts im buying

CPU+motherboard:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

eventually Since i have such a large PSU im going to add a 6950 and a 2560x1600 monitor to play some casual wow/SC2

what do you guys think?

More about : dual monitor budget

April 18, 2011 9:15:19 PM

One would be hard pressed to justify NOT recommending some sort of P67 based MB/2500k cpu combo....
m
l
April 18, 2011 9:18:20 PM

Ok talking about budget and if this isn’t a major gaming system then the easy answer is to look at the Intel® Core™ I3 2100 and a H67 or H61 series board. The H67 and H61 series board will support dual display off the on processor graphics. While it won’t be outstanding graphics will be enough to let you play WOW and SC2 for a while until you pick up a good video card.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
April 18, 2011 9:37:59 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Ok talking about budget and if this isn’t a major gaming system then the easy answer is to look at the Intel® Core™ I3 2100 and a H67 or H61 series board. The H67 and H61 series board will support dual display off the on processor graphics. While it won’t be outstanding graphics will be enough to let you play WOW and SC2 for a while until you pick up a good video card.

^+1. The i3-2100 will outperform the i7-920/930 in games, even though it's a dual core, so it can handle most of the games you plan to throw at it.

You could stick with the stock cooler and be just fine; the only instances in which a stock cooler would be troublesome is when OCing or using a case with poor airflow.

You don't need an extremely powerful GPU if you won't be primarily gaming; that said, AMD's GPUs are fairly inexpensive.
m
l
!