Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ram how much heat?

Last response: in Memory
Share
March 28, 2012 9:35:20 PM

Hi

Qucik question on you boffins :) 

Does 4 x 4 gig ram DDR 3 under normal load conditions produce more heat that 2 x 8 gig DDR 3 ram sticks ?

I under stand that an 8 gig stick will consume less power, but is the heat produced relevant to 2 x 4 gig sticks, is this also correct or not.

Reason for asking.

Gigabyte X79 Assian 2 board only has 4 ram banks, but the asus X79 variants all have 2 x 4 banks.


Thanks All.

More about : ram heat

a b } Memory
March 28, 2012 9:42:02 PM

Hello,

4 sticks of ram will definately create more heat than 2 sticks of ram. However the amount is very miniscule compared to say something like your CPU or GPU. Why are you worried about heat from RAM? They output very very little.
a b } Memory
March 28, 2012 9:58:26 PM

You really have a good reason to ask!

I infer you are about to get a Gigabyte or an ASUS (both X79 motherboard).

As for getting 2x 8GB, or 4x 4GB it will depend upon the mobo you get. If you go Gigabyte, then it is wise to get 2x 8GB. If you get ASUS, then get 4x 4GB, which is somewhat cheaper -- you won´t be able to populate all the dimms with 8GB sticks on the ASUS mobo, as it suppots only 32GB.

As for heating Chainzsaw gave you good advices.
Related resources
March 29, 2012 1:39:47 AM

jemm said:
You really have a good reason to ask!

I infer you are about to get a Gigabyte or an ASUS (both X79 motherboard).

As for getting 2x 8GB, or 4x 4GB it will depend upon the mobo you get. If you go Gigabyte, then it is wise to get 2x 8GB. If you get ASUS, then get 4x 4GB, which is somewhat cheaper -- you won´t be able to populate all the dimms with 8GB sticks on the ASUS mobo, as it suppots only 32GB.

As for heating Chainzsaw gave you good advices.


Hi Thanks you for your reply.

Myself, I will be getting the Asus variant, my mate wants the GB board, according to the Asus main site the board can indeed do
8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory, 8 slots x 8 gig = 64, i cant find it any where to say that you cant put all 8s in.
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79...


As to the GB board, its only got 4 dimms, but 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory.
http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...

So really, it was just the memory question.

regards to all.

a b } Memory
March 29, 2012 1:59:26 AM

Sorry, you are right, ASUS mobo can support 64GB ram, despite of the fact you gonna never be able to use them all in practise.

March 29, 2012 2:19:42 AM

jemm said:
Sorry, you are right, ASUS mobo can support 64GB ram, despite of the fact you gonna never be able to use them all in practise.


with Windows 7, the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

So yes the system can utilize that amount, and in graphics a scratch file for out loading raw digital data can be anywhere in size from 1 gig to 20, and that just one programs that we use, on our P9X79 WS we found the more ram we threw at it the better the file handling got, as in faster loading in and out, its maxed out at 64 gig, and it runs fine, leaves my present P8Z68-Pro stood still and loading the large raw data files.


a b } Memory
March 29, 2012 12:54:18 PM

Dunston said:
with Windows 7, the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

So yes the system can utilize that amount, and in graphics a scratch file for out loading raw digital data can be anywhere in size from 1 gig to 20, and that just one programs that we use, on our P9X79 WS we found the more ram we threw at it the better the file handling got, as in faster loading in and out, its maxed out at 64 gig, and it runs fine, leaves my present P8Z68-Pro stood still and loading the large raw data files.


I know the system can use that amount of ram, but in practise it never does, due to cpu limitations http://epic.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/pub/Home/TrendsAndConcep...

You are confusing Random access memory (RAM) with storage. The system won´t need 20GB ram to handle a file of 20GB. Mind that in a SSD drive of 64GB you can have all of your programs stored.
!