camera in car in summer

I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
might not like the heat.

How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
something like that.

Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
and theft light ;)

Wes