What is this?! Looking for fast response!

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hey guys, I went to install my heatsink/fan on my new motherboard and there's an interesting black layer that's under the socket where my CPU is resting blocking all 4 holes. It might just be something that tears easily but I don't want to risk it and can't find anything about it in my manual or on any sites/comments about the product. I've installed a few fans before and have never encountered it. What is it and how am I supposed to install my fan?

P1020428.jpg

Solution
If it's the socket 2011 motherboard it is a blocking layer. The new socket has threaded holes, (4mm I believe) you will need to puncture it to use old socket 1366 hardware, then it will have to be small enough to fit through the threaded portion without damaging the threads for future use or resale. I had to buy adapter posts that thread into it from Koolance for my CPU-360 to work. LIKE THESE What cooler do you have?

suteck

Distinguished
If it's the socket 2011 motherboard it is a blocking layer. The new socket has threaded holes, (4mm I believe) you will need to puncture it to use old socket 1366 hardware, then it will have to be small enough to fit through the threaded portion without damaging the threads for future use or resale. I had to buy adapter posts that thread into it from Koolance for my CPU-360 to work. LIKE THESE What cooler do you have?

Solution

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Yeah, it's referred to as a gasket! Thanks for the response. The threaded posts that came with the cooler were too wide to fit through. So, I bought the LGA2011 kit for my cooler, the NH-D14. I bought it based off of a guide on tom's hardware, but the sad part is that they failed to mention that the NH-D14 comes in 2 varieties, a kit for the LGA775, 1156, and 1366 and another NH-D14, same model number, with an appended SSE2011 added to it. So, gotta wait 2 more days until I can build :(

Can my CPU just sit in my mobo until then w/thermal compound on it?

suteck

Distinguished
The CPU can sit there forever, best not to remove it to often as the pins are INCREDIBLY EASY to bend and ruin the socket. As for the thermal compound, nope. You should remove it with a cleaner then use a purifier on the chip. Reapply when you get the new parts. I hear ya an the waiting. I had to wait 4 days for my "adapters", but I didn't want to cut the holes in mine.

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Unfortunately I already cut the holes in mine :( I just gotta hope I don't screw too far beyond where the gasket would of been. Patience is a virtue >.<

You recommend using q-tips and isopropyl?