I7 2600k performance after psu blew

Kida_80

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hey

i have a serious problem, few a weeks ago my psu blew but it was still working afterwards but i bought a new then i had to reinstall windows as well as other programs after installing windows and etc. I opened 3d max but while running it start to lag my pc i never experience this before and i'm pretty sure i installed all the drivers that's not all. I checked my windows rating system and it rated my processor speed a 5.9 but before it was a 7.9 i checked on cpu z it says my cpu is running at 3392mhz which should be right. and i tried everything forums, formatting even praying its still rates it a 5.9. even tried a few settings on bios got a few changes but still lags when i run 3d max, could my bios setting be the problem? i tried putting it on default lol same problem. could the board be damaged? and is there a way to check?

please please help :(

My specs are: i7 2600k, Intel DP67DE board, 8ghz 1666mhz RAM, ASUS engtx460 1ghz vga card, 2x 1tb seagate hdd 1x 250g hdd and 600w psu..

best run prime 95 and see if your cpu has developed an issue... basicaly run as many stability tests as you can think of... test the ram. the hdd and cpu as they could all be potentialy damaged by a failed psu.
if your original psu was still in warranty and had surge protection as an advertised feature you may have grounds for that manufacturer to furnish you a replacement cpu or motherboard
as they are deemed protected by the advanced circuitry thats on the psu. a psu which they guarantee is fit for the purpose it was made for. if its a big company i don't see why they wouldn't replace any part that was damaged by there product failing.

Kida_80

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Damn but i haven't receive any errors yet.. what issues should i expect from the prime 95? and if there's an issue is possible for the company to replace it even it still boots to windows and from a human error?

to be honest im not exactly sure what errors will pop up. i would defer to the overclockers and pros who know everything about prime 95 on that 1...

the chances are it will fail on the blend test.
if it does then narrow it down by using the other tests.
inplace tests memory, while small fft tests the cpu.

you can use the custom test to set up the amount of memory you want to test, but i think it has to be a multiple of 1024KB and then set a larger amount of ram by MB which can be any number within range of your ram ... 4 gigs is 4x1024mb so to test 4 GB you would need to enter 4096 in the memory to use tab... not 4000 which is 4GiB

there are other tests you can use also most of which are just general stress tests. but i think prime95 will be the quickest to show errors.

btw when you did the reinstall you did download the chipset inf from your motherboard manufacturer. without it your o.s wont recognise the cpu propperly...
at least with my x58 cpu thats the case... and is likely to have the same effect if your missing it on yours.

Kida_80

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

oh so far i have found no error and no warnings. i am running another test to be sure. ya i downloaded the latest one but after installing windows i installed the one from the CD then i tried it with the latest version. still the same results but i remember changing a few settings in bios and my games were running smoothly. could windows updates also be the problem?

its unlikley that win updates will change anything...
go in to bios and load optomized defaults.
make sure hpet matches your o.s. hpet 64 for 64bit and so on...
if your ram timings are different to what the manufacturer advertises then set the ram propperly, other than that leave everything alone.

then go into windows and set the power managment to high performance.
run your rating test again...

this time look at the cpu and memory ratings.
if the cpu is still at 5.9 then you do have an issue.

get cpu-z run it along side the rating and watch the cpu multiplyer make sure its working correctly and the cpu is running at rated speed.
when you first start the test the multiplyer may be low but as soon as the cpu loads up the multi should jump up to its max and stay there for the duration of the test.
also keep an evey on cpu voltage...

Kida_80

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

i couldn't find hpet but this is strange before restart my pc the 1 core was on 100% right? but after i restart
and did the test it says 7.6 and core 1 shows at 1% useage lol but funny now it seems to be fine 3d max opens without lag.
Haven't tried the other programs. But will it be a problem in the future if i have to format my system?

cpuz says my multiplier is at 32 before restarting now its at 34

Kida_80

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

ok here's feedback i figured whats wrong and luckily my board and cpu are fine but the problem is something is increasing my core 1 useage to about 00% uninstalled most of my programs its still the same but when i checked process explorer it say my system idle is at 85% and interrupts is at 15% and i notice when my core was on 0%-2% 3d max didnt lag at all but now thats its 100% it does, need your help again :(